It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• New filling, sensitive - should I worry?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
    kukenheimer
    (male)

kukenheimer HB User
    New filling, sensitive - should I worry?

I got a pretty big filling done today (covers 2 cavities on a back molar). I forgot what it's called, but it's that white plasticky kind (not the metal/mercury one, not the expensive porcelain, but the one where they put it on in layers and use a weird light to activate/solidify it). Pretty much the standard stuff these days.

Anyway, I'm finding the tooth is pretty sensitive right now. In particular, if I press on it lightly with another tooth, it's definitely pretty pressure sensitive at the moment. Should I worry, or is that a normal part of the recovery? How long is it supposed to stay that way? This is my first experience with this kind of filling, as you might imagine.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: New filling, sensitive - should I worry?

This type of filling takes a while to set and will be sensitive for a while. I would say could be a few weeks before it settles down. My last one did.
    I also have one of the original white fillings that bothers me to this day. When I have money to burn, I'm going to replace it with the newer version.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
    kukenheimer
    (male)

kukenheimer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    This type of filling takes a while to set and will be sensitive for a while. I would say could be a few weeks before it settles down. My last one did.
    I also have one of the original white fillings that bothers me to this day. When I have money to burn, I'm going to replace it with the newer version.
    Thanks, that puts me at ease. I'll have to baby my right side for a bit then... Perfect time to get the left side back into shape (I've been favouring the right).

Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
    kukenheimer
    (male)

kukenheimer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maria1007 View Post
    Hi there,
    Sounds like you have a high spot on your filling, when the filling is set and then shaped, sometimes there is a little that is left too high. I work as a dental nurse and we get this alot! Its a quick appointment that is needed. All he will do is grind the filling down slightly. The reason it hurts is because this "high spot" is the first point of pressure and is meeting your other teeth on it own,rather than the whole tooth. Obviously a filling is made to resemble what was once there, but its still not as good as the original tooth and your oppossing teeth realise this. hope this helps
    x
    Thanks for the reply. That's definitely not the (primary) issue with this filling, as even relatively light contact (e.g. pressing against it lightly with another tooth) causes the discomfort. I've been told by more than one person at this point that it took them over a month for it to recover properly, so I'll take it slowly and hope it gets better week to week.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
    S098
    (female)

S098 HB User

I am also experiencing this problem. I have two white compoiste resin fillings that have replaced two mercury fillings that needed replacement. These white fillings are very hot/cold sensitive and do not want me chewing on them. I have already had some "high spots" shaved on them but I continue to have this problem and it has been many months for one and the other one I've had for almost four weeks now. Does anyone know if these ever get redone or what dentists do to help this problem? I have an appt for have to wait a while.

Closed Thread