It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Frustrated and in pain!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User
    Frustrated and in pain!

I am no stranger to dental problems, so I have been through a lot over the years. My latest problem is severe aching on a tooth that had a root canal in April of '03 and a surgical root canal (through the gums) in December of '03.
    Now it is aflame again. We have since moved and the new endodondist is going to reopen it on July 3rd to see what can be done. In the meantime, I am on penicillan and motrin. After five days on those I had calmed it down, but with all the testing of the tooth yesterday (cold, banging, poking, etc.) it is so revved up again. The pain gets hard to take after awhile and I deal with pain very well.

There is a chance the tooth is cracked as it has had so much work and it does have a post. I rather don't think so though as I know my mouth so well.

I am in a quandry though over whether to just have it pulled or try the new root canal. The problem with pulling it is that there is a tooth missing on either side of it. I have a partial on the bottom, which I do not like, and hate the thought of another partial. And, I also don't know if you can have a one sided partial. What does it hook onto? Implants are not an option for me. Due to my age and mild osteoporosis and some bone loss in my jaw, I am not going to take the risk with an implant.

Any thoughts, anyone? I have been there done that so many times and I know the whole drill, but wow it gets frustrating and so painful. The pain really interrupts your life after awhile. I have always had good dental care, just not very good dental genes!

Thanks, glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
    Lynda11011
    (female)

Lynda11011 HB User
    Re: Frustrated and in pain!

I am having similiar problems, except nothing can be detected on my tooth. It aches or is sore low into the jaw below the tooth and is sore when you push it side to side. I was wondering what type of pain did and does your root canal going bad give you? Linda

Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

My tooth is on the top, but like you it aches in the jaw. It also travels to my ear and down the side of my face. In fact, the whole side of my face hurts! Nothing really showed up on the x-ray for me either, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Are you taking antibiotics? When was your root canal done? Mine was four years ago! What are they planning on doing for you? How long have you had the pain?

I hope you feel better. This is not fun!

glowing4

Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
    Lynda11011
    (female)

Lynda11011 HB User

I have been in pain off and on for two mths. I have appt to see new endo next wk, but today i felt so bad I went to regular Dr and he was amazed that i have been living w a low grade fever and swelling in my glands for over a week. He gave me antibiotics, and of course it started hurting really bad tonight, the weekend.....The root canal in question was done 10 months ago. What are your plans....i think endodontists don't like to re do rootcanals as it makes the tooth too brittle, or fragile. Are you feeling pain//soreness uppper and lower, I am at this point. Isn't this a crappy way to exist?

Old 06-23-2007, 04:09 AM   #5
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Yes, it gets hurting - upper and lower. It is referred pain. One endodondist told me that pain will travel up or down, but usually not across.

Are you sure it is a tooth and not a sinus infection? Often sinus issues will cause tooth pain. However, if it is a lower tooth this is not often true. And, are you sure it is the same tooth that had the root canal? It is sometimes hard to tell which tooth it is. A fever usually means an infection is present, so it is good that you are on antibiotics. You should also take something for the pain like Motrin or Advil. Those also reduce any swelling caused by the infection.

I have had root canals redone many times. There is always a chance the tooth will become brittle when any root canal is done. That is why they should be crowned afterwards.

I am going to the endodondist on the 3rd of July and he is going to try and redo it. In the meantime I am hoping for a cancellation to get in earlier. Yes, it is a rotten way to live and not easy to deal with day after day. You just want the pain gone. Sorry you are going through this too and hope you get some answers soon and some relief. Let me know what happens.

glowing4

Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
    Lynda11011
    (female)

Lynda11011 HB User

glowing4:
    I shall assume that you aren't in pain if you can wait til the 3rd of July to get in......make sure they will be there, as its so close to the HOliday lots of people will just at the last min take those adjacent days off......I've had that happen to me with other situations. I can feel a tad different after two antibiotic doses, but still very sore and weird feeling in the back quadrant on the one side. My Dr (medical, not dentist)also gave me some steroids to take cause my glands have swollen up, and I have not taken them as they scare me and interact w the antibiotic prescribed, and Motrin, and another med i take. they seem like nasty drugs when you read about them. It is a five day series, but i don't know, have you ever heard of this being prescribed?

Old 06-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Hi again! I am in pain, but that is the earliest I can get in! I am on the cancellation list, so hoping someone cancels so they can see me earlier. Fighting pain every day is not easy and the Motrin eases it somewhat, but not totally. I haven't heard of taking steroids for teeth or swollen glands, but I am not a doctor. I would do what feels right to you and if taking it doesn't feel right then don't do it. Was the fever caused from an infection in the tooth or did you have something else? I am glad the antibiotic is helping. It usually takes 24 hours until you feel the full effects of an antibiotic and hopefully that will bring you some relief.

glowing4

Old 06-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
    Lynda11011
    (female)

Lynda11011 HB User

Hi back.....I believe the fever is a result of all of this, but no one has been able to diagnose the tooth, as no visable sign on xray. when I touch the rootcanaled tooth is sore sore, and the pain seems to have started below it and when the ache is there, its below that tooth. My upper tooth feels like it hurts, but I think its referred pain. Since i haven't had x rays for 3 weeks, which isn't that long in the tooth world, maybe when i have them again in 3 days HOPEFULLY something will show up! Two mths is too long to be feeling pain off and on and now getting worse......Sorry that you are having the discomfort....800 motrin just takes the edge off....Do you feel any pressure or like swelling feeling?

Last edited by Lynda11011; 06-23-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

I came on to post about this same subject. I have spent over $5000.00 in the last 18 months on my teeth and am in pain again. I believe it is the last root canal I had done that is causing the problem. I feel the pain mostly in the ear but the other night had some soreness and aching around the tooth. I have had several root canals pulled because they don't take. It was my understanding that if the nerve is gone there should be no pain. My canals calcify and it is hard to do a root canal. I do not have insurance and am between dentists at this time. So I have to find one who can take me in soon. I hope it isn't the tooth next to it as I just got new partials and I need that tooth. I just don't have any more money to spend on my teeth. I am in debt over it as it is. Frustrating! Godbless

Old 06-24-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Marian, I am so sorry you are going through the same thing. I have had several root canaled teeth pulled myself! I am truly beginning to wonder if they are worth it, but what is the alternative! I too have a partial on the bottom, which I hate, and if I get this one pulled then I am in a mess on the top. And, like you, I am wondering why if this already had a root canal AND a surgical root canal how there can possibly be pain!! I agree, if there is no nerve, then what is hurting? I was up in the middle of the night putting an ice pack on it, and yes, mine hurts into my ear as well. I am not due to go get it worked on for another week and a half, but I don't think I can take it that long, so am going to call tomorrow and see if they can see me earlier. I have just come through a bout of kidney stones and do not want to take the pain medicines they give out for everything! I don't like the idea of narcotics and I don't like how they make me feel, so I am taking Motrin which just sort of dulls the pain. I also understand totally the money. My mouth is worth a fortune and I don't have much to show for it. I also wonder how a root canal can average $750 dollars plus almost that much for a crown. That seems outrageous for a few hours of not that difficult work! My husband and I were both teachers, and no teacher ever got paid anywhere near that amount for teaching their children!!!

I do hope you can find someone to help you and I do hope you feel better soon. I know how frustrating it is and painful. Let me know how you do.

glowing4

Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

I went to my doctor today and found out I have an ear infection. I hope that is what is causing all the pain. It is hard to tell what is causing the pain. I am on antibiotics and I will probably know by tomorrow night if it is the ear. I hope so. It is a lot cheaper. I still think feel some pain in the tooth area too. Godbless

Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

Weel on day 2 of antibiotic and it is either not working or i also have a tooth problem because the pain is still here. Godbless

Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh Marian, I am so sorry. I know how frustrating and painful this can all be! I had the tooth pulled on Monday - nothing else could be done for a tooth that had already had a root canal AND a surgical root canal eight months later. So, got that done, came through fine, and now something is hurting on the other side!!!! I am ready to rip my mouth out! The dentist isn't sure what is causing it although all three teeth that are hurting have root canals and crowns. I am beginning to wonder if root canals work for longer than a few years! So, back to the endodontist I go on Monday. I am so hoping this is sinus, but just don't know yet, and I am back on another antibiotic.

Give yourself a little more time. Sometimes it takes awhile for the antibiotic to kick in totally, so don't get too discouraged yet. I am crossing my fingers for you.

glowing4

Old 06-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
    Lynda11011
    (female)

Lynda11011 HB User

Glowing4
    Glad you had some resolve, and removed the tooth. I had my endo check my teeth again ,and he found nothing, but my complaints....we have decided to do a redo on the rootcanaled tooth next week. SOmetimes I feel for sure its that tooth, but who knows. Today my jaw is sore like TMJish, as i think i am in so much anguish over this, so i have clenched my teeth over it. I am afraid that if i get the redo done, it wont resolve the issue. I am still on antibiotics and feel pressure and achy up to ears...sounds like tmj...? Root canaled tooth was sore to touch laterally before the antibiotics and now its a tad less sore. SO this is why endo said he would redo, but sees nothing wrong.
    What were your symptoms of a redo before the redo? Lynda

Old 06-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #15
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Hi Lynda, my symptoms for the redo's (and I have had many) are usually pain and achiness that doesn't get better. I have had pain that goes to my ears or down the whole side of my face. It could be TMJ for you, and often it is sinus for me, but many times it is a tooth. It is often hard to see if something is wrong from the xrays. There can be many canals, branches off of those canals, or a canal that was not totally done right. I am finding this so frustrating too. I have had so many root canals redone and then only to have them pulled. I think it is very hard for them to pinpoint a problem, but then I am also angry and frustrated that they are not done right or that they go bad several years later. Being that your tooth was sensitive, it does sound like there could be a problem with the root canal. I tend to get in cycles where several go bad at one time. I really think that your mouth gets revved up, that the nerves all get going and need some time to calm down.

I hope your redo goes well. Please let me know how it turns out. The pain plus the expense is often overwhelming, not to mention the worry, so I do so understand.

Thinking of you,

glowing4

Closed Thread