It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Dentist refused to wear plastic gloves- is this normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
    Titanic Explore
    (male)

Titanic Explore HB User
    Dentist refused to wear plastic gloves- is this normal?

A few months ago when i had a dental checkup, I was a bit unnerved because the dentist was not wearing gloves, and had his fingers in my mouth- I asked him to put on some gloves, and he took offense-and condesendingly asked me if I'm a child. i'm a 38 year old man, and it just seems inappropriate-and unhygenic in this day and age, for dentists not to wear plastic gloves. How would you react to a gloveless dentist who put their fingers in your mouth, and what would you do if they copped an attitude after you asked them to wear gloves?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
    Mora
    (female)

Mora HB User
    Re: Dentist refused to wear plastic gloves- is this normal?

That was so unsanitary! YUCK!! I would not go back to him. If you feel really vexed give a call to your states dental society and make a complaint.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
    bwitht
    Veteran
    (female)

bwitht HB User

I agree with Mora. It is most important that you never go back to that dentist. I would also contact the dental society and state licensing board. You are correct that it is very unhygenic for both of you.

If it were me, I would refuse to allow the dentist to put his hand into my mouth. If he copped an attitude, I would walk out and notify my dental insurance in case the dentist tried to bill for the visit.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #4
    glamour girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glamour girl HB User

No way is that normal.. These days people are getting sued cause they contracted somethjing from dirty equipment, and he just doesn't wear gloves?? Who know where his hands have been touching. YUCK.. Thats scary.. i agree with the girls below.. report this jerk.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

While it's not the best practice, I have to say that it's not completely "out there" as others have suggested. Depending on what he was doing (just giving you an annual check up, looking at your bite, checking for oral cancer, etc.) I don't think it makes that big of a difference as long as he's practiced good handwashing.

You let your doctor touch you without gloves, right?

You let people prepare and serve you food with gloves, right?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would tend to agree with the last post - as long as he washed thoroughly beforehand and wears gloves when touching other equipment and things in the office - sometimes, depending on what he is doing of course, the gloves can be a hinderance by decreasing the sense of feeling or touch. It could also be he is an "old timer" more comfortable with how things used to be. Of course if its a dentist I had just met I would be more wary - but probably wouldn't be as concerned if I had been going to him for regularly - by then you have had a chance to observe his standard office protocol in terms of cleaning instruments, chairs, sinks, equipment, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #7
    *DottieGirl*
    (female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

I wouldn't let him touch my mouth without gloves. Just got check-up x-rays this past week and it took only 12 minutes, he wore gloves.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
    lovinthev8
    Veteran
    (male)

lovinthev8 HB User

Yeah... that's gross. And this is coming from a dude with one heck of a strong stomach... it would of taken a lot for me not to gag, just seeing a dentist with his grubby hands in my mouth.

Oh, he washed them! So it makes it okay! False... by a long shot, false.

My doctor? The only time he had touched me without gloves is when he shook my hand.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
    bwitht
    Veteran
    (female)

bwitht HB User

I had to wash my hands immediately after just handling a chart marked Hep (you would be shocked at how many there are) and when I had completed all filing. I could not handle any dental equipment, cleaning supplies or the exam area without gloves. At no time should any member of the dental staff put their fingers within your mouth without gloves. The last surface the person may have touched could be the very spot that accidentally did not get thoughoughly disinfected (even the best disinfection and hygiene practices are not perfect) and contain a blood born pathogen. In any medical field you are to treat every person as though they have all blood born pathogens. It is not only for medical staff safety but for the patient and all family members. These diseases are nothing I want to take home to my family. It is best to be safe.

Last edited by bwitht; 08-24-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Closed Thread