It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Anyone, please share experience with me, Wisdom tooth extraction in 24 hours!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
    Lakergirl22
    (female)

Lakergirl22 HB User
    Unhappy Anyone, please share experience with me, Wisdom tooth extraction in 24 hours!!!!!

Hello Everyone!!

So, I just got a call from my oral surgeons office to confirm my appt for tomorrow at 10:45 AM. So, they asked me if I wanted to go to sleep or stay awake. I really could use the opinions on this!!

She said I have the option of staying awake, and if I freak out they can put me under, but she said all I will feel is the needle but after I'm numbed all I will feel is pressure, and I will be under the nitrous oxide so I will be relaxed. She also said feel free to bring my IPOD To listen to music if I wanted. She said I will hear everything though, so I don't know how that would go. Has anyone done it this way and had a good/bad experience?

My biggest fear is the anesthesia really. I have never been under before and it really freaks me out. I have seen ******* videos where people have recorded themselves after surgery and are acting ridculous, lol, and have also heard from people that you're really out of it for a while, and it makes some people sick to their stomachs....so I just was trying to avoid it, but I really could use some feedback, so please share!!!! Thanks =) and wish me luck, I'm sure by tonight I'll start paniciking!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
    walkunafraid
    Inactive
    (male)

walkunafraid HB User
    Re: Anyone, please share experience with me, Wisdom tooth extraction in 24 hours!!!!!

After seeing your username, I had to respond. Go Lakers!!!!!!

On to your question...I had my wisdom teeth pulled three years ago (I was 25 at the time). I had similar worries in terms of having never been "put under" for any reason and feeling fearful after watching the video discussing potential risks. Then I talked to the surgeon AND did my own research and found that anesthesia in dentistry is very, very safe. In fact, it's much safer than hospital anesthesia. Essentially, the rate of death due to dental anesthesia is 350,000 to 1...or about .000002%. That's 3x safe than hospital anesthesia, and puts you at almost no risk for that type of complication, especially if you are young (which you are) and in good physical condition.

My wisdom tooth removal went very smoothly and I had no complications. In all honesty, I actually REALLY enjoyed the feeling of going under -- it's like this sudden loss of control that makes your mind float away in a blissful sort of way. Now I tell people that I kind of wish I had a problem that would require me to go under again, just so I can experience that feeling again (but I'm joking about that, of course!).

Yes, I did act like a fool after the surgery because of the anesthesia. Supposedly I was telling everyone in the office how much I loved them, and the surgeon and all the assistants couldn't stop laughing at me. Of course, I don't remember any of that, but it must have been hilarious.

Still, there's nothing wrong with staying awake throughout the whole process. I chose to be put under because I was somewhat fearful of sitting there hearing drills, feeling pulling, etc. for a full 30 minutes. It won't hurt at all during the procedure if you do choose to stay awake, so either choice you make won't be a bad one.

I HAVE had a tooth extracted without going under and it was completely painless. It didn't hurt at all until after the surgery (either way, you will feel some pain/swelling for a day or two, so be ready for that). But I didn't like the feeling of my jaw being tugged at or the sound of my tooth crunching while they were pulling it out, so I think I chose the right way for me in terms of the wisdom teeth.

The good news is...either way it won't be nearly as bad as you think it will be, and when it's over you'll be able to breathe a huge sigh of relief for having it done.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
    volitales
    (male)

volitales HB User
    Re: Anyone, please share experience with me, Wisdom tooth extraction in 24 hours!!!!!

they put me to sleep when i was getting my wisdom teeth pulled. The surgery had no problems, I dont even remember falling asleep when they gave me the anesthesia. Make sure when they put that ice pack thing around your jaw that you keep it very cold! If it starts getting warm, ur jaw will start hurting and you'll cry and spit blood everywhere like me.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
    lysinelover
    (female)

lysinelover HB User

I think if the noises/fear bother you at all, being put under is soooo much better. I just had all four of mine out with surgery (and I was fast asleep for 95% of it) Don't worry about acting silly, I'm sure they see all kinds of crazy things & are used to it. The priority is YOUR comfort!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
    Titanic Explore
    (male)

Titanic Explore HB User

Please let us know how it goes-i'm having my upper left wisdom tooth yanked next week...

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
    rednovember17
    (female)

rednovember17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lakergirl22 View Post
    Hello Everyone!!
    Hi, dont worry ive had all my wisdom teeth removed. just with local injection. the first 3 were done by different dentists. And no bother whatsoever. never felt athing.

The last one was a problem though. after numerous ascess and real pain, my dentist tried to no avail. he couldnt numb it. So he sent me tothe local hospital and he was great, as im nervous like you he seemed caring and I responded to that. I did feel sensations but I assure you no pain. Youll be fine good luck.

So, I just got a call from my oral surgeons office to confirm my appt for tomorrow at 10:45 AM. So, they asked me if I wanted to go to sleep or stay awake. I really could use the opinions on this!!

She said I have the option of staying awake, and if I freak out they can put me under, but she said all I will feel is the needle but after I'm numbed all I will feel is pressure, and I will be under the nitrous oxide so I will be relaxed. She also said feel free to bring my IPOD To listen to music if I wanted. She said I will hear everything though, so I don't know how that would go. Has anyone done it this way and had a good/bad experience?

My biggest fear is the anesthesia really. I have never been under before and it really freaks me out. I have seen ******* videos where people have recorded themselves after surgery and are acting ridculous, lol, and have also heard from people that you're really out of it for a while, and it makes some people sick to their stomachs....so I just was trying to avoid it, but I really could use some feedback, so please share!!!! Thanks =) and wish me luck, I'm sure by tonight I'll start paniciking!!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
    Lakergirl22
    (female)

Lakergirl22 HB User
    Talking Re: Anyone, please share experience with me, Wisdom tooth extraction in 24 hours!!!!!

Hey everyone! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I went yesterday, had all 4 pulled and I ended up getting put out. I was almost in tears right before hand (yes, I am a wuss, lol) but the doctor and nurse were so comforting, and the last thing I remember was trying to keep my eyes open and I couldn't, then I woke up, sat in recovery for a while, and then they wheeled me out to my parents car. I really haven't had any intense pain, I was bleeding a lot, but stopped the gauze today by doc's orders. The vicodin and ibuprofin have been a HUGE help, and I've been eating jello, pudding, ice cream, baby food custard, soup, eggs, etc, and my lip is still numb and probably will be for a while, but I'm so glad it's over. The stiches are driving me nuts, but that's about it, and the occasional blood taste is kinda gross, but overall i feel pretty good....and it's been over 24 hours. So for everyone who's getting theirs done, it probably won't be as bad as you are expecting, it wasn't for me! I wish I would not have done all that worrying before hand and I probably would have been happier going into it, lol. My jaw feels really tight and a little sore but really the pain isn't as bad as i thought and I've been told that the first couple days are the worst, so if this is as bad as it gets than that's pretty cool....unless I get dry socket, lol, which I'm really hoping not to get, I've been keeping up on ALL my aftercare, so I shouldn't get it. Thank you so much to everyone who posted something from my post the other day, I really do appreciate it!!!! If anyone has any questions, you can write back,

Ps for the person who was amused by my name lakergirl, I don't know if you were referring to the basketball team, but I am a student at Grand Valley State University in Michigan, and that is our mascot, so that's really what it's referring to but hey GO LAKERS =)

Thanks again everyone. Take care. I'll let you know if anything else occurs.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-16-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Closed Thread