It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• bone loss did the dentist make this up??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
    hayley0610
    Inactive
    (female)

hayley0610 HB User
    bone loss did the dentist make this up??

ok the dentist told me i had minor bone loss under my tooth but told me if i do nothing extra as far as reg cleaning it will get worse meaning really floss and clean well.but she said if i do take care of it i would prob die of old age before it got bad.she said by not cleaning it well the plaque and stuff go into the gums as a gas and permiate the bone under the tooth and make it deteriorate faster this to me sounds made up so i thought id ask. is bone loss with teeth common and what does plaque have to do with bone loss in an area plaque is probably never going to go into? also she said i should come in and they have this tool the will go under my gum and clean whatever is under my tooth now causing this loss. sounds weird to me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
    plc
    (female)

plc HB User
    Re: bone loss did the dentist make this up??

Your dentist is right on the money. I do not know how old you are, but bone loss in the jaw is common with peridontal problems, osteoprorisis and menopause. Also check out your family tree, peridontal problems run in familys along with osteoporisis. Smoking does not help. What ever you do,do not poke around at your gums,you will end up with more problems.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
    hayley0610
    Inactive
    (female)

hayley0610 HB User

i am 35, i dont know if its in my family BUT this tooth has been causing probs for yrs as in multiple fillings, sensitivity,cavities and such but not really pain or anything.the gum looks good around it though and it isnt red or inflamed or anything she told me though to brush and floss it good so wouldnt that be considered picking at my gums really?to me this tooth looks like every other tooth and the gum too but u tell me not to pick around it but arent they going to be doing this when they do that special clean? it was very slight i believe and like i said she said it should never be a problem if i floss and brush it good. it was a small shadow on the xray right under the tooth but i find it confusing as to why something thats buried in my gum thats got bone loss would be affected by plaque and also how that would cause the bone loss or is it my lack of calcium that wouldve caused it? either way im taking advice from another poster also and taking calcium and using pro enamel.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hayley0610 View Post
    i am 35, i dont know if its in my family BUT this tooth has been causing probs for yrs as in multiple fillings, sensitivity,cavities and such but not really pain or anything.the gum looks good around it though and it isnt red or inflamed or anything she told me though to brush and floss it good so wouldnt that be considered picking at my gums really?

NO; NOT REALLY. BRUSHING GENTLY AND FLOSSING AT BEDTIME IS NOT THE SAME AS PICKING AT YOUR GUMS WITH MAYBE UNSANITARY THINGS LIKE FINGERS. IF I USE A TOOTHPICK AND DIG AROUND MY TOOTH I GET A SORE, SWOLLEN SPOT ON THE GUM.

to me this tooth looks like every other tooth and the gum too but u tell me not to pick around it but arent they going to be doing this when they do that special clean?

NO; THEY WON'T BE DOING THIS WHEN THEY CLEAN. HE IS SPEAKING OF SOMETHING YOU WOULD DO OFTEN WITH SOMETHING UNSANITARY. WHEN THEY DO A SCALING OR ROOT PLANING IT IS UNDER SANITARY CONDITIONS AND IT SCRAPES TARTAR OFF THE ROOT (WITH ROOT PLANING).

The process in which bone loss occurs is complicated but occurs because the bacteria from plaque produce toxins and enzymes under the gum-line, causing a chronic infection. This infection causes the immune system to respond and the body releases chemical substances called cytokines. These cytokines in turn cause a cascade of reactions within the gum and surrounding tissue that **causes the breakdown of the gum and bone.**

I USE DENTAL TAPE EVERY SINGLE NIGHT AND BRUSH. JUST DOING THAT HAS KEPT THE GUM FROM SWELLING UP AND MAYBE HAS KEPT WHAT BONE I HAVE LEFT INTACT. IF I BRUSH TOO HARD, WHICH FEELS GREAT, I GET TOOTHACHES.

it was very slight i believe and like i said she said it should never be a problem if i floss and brush it good. it was a small shadow on the xray right under the tooth but i find it confusing as to why something thats buried in my gum thats got bone loss would be affected by plaque and also how that would cause the bone loss or is it my lack of calcium that wouldve caused it? either way im taking advice from another poster also and taking calcium and using pro enamel.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
    hayley0610
    Inactive
    (female)

hayley0610 HB User

thanks for ur answers! i have picked up some calcium sup and special toothpaste, i am just surprised that under a yr ago when i had the tooth xrayed for the cavity it wasnt picked up on then so i am thinking it is slight.

Closed Thread