It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• ten hours of prep for a top and bottom temp full bridge..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
    valerie1251
    (female)

valerie1251 HB User
    ten hours of prep for a top and bottom temp full bridge..

hi i recently had so much prep work for a temp full upper and lower bridge. i also had a few bottom implants and next month five upper ones and an extraction. meanwhile im concerned about a back upper molar that the doctor prepped which had a cap removed..i cannot bite down on it because it is extremely sensitive and painful..im not sure if its gum pain or tooth pain..he told me it takes a while for the live nerve to calm down when you have the teeth preped for a bridge or crown...so far most of the teeth have become quiet and this one is painful only when i try to chew or have something cold ..im concerned that it will need a root canal before he puts a cap on it..has anyone ever expereinced this?
    also the temp upper bridge is bulky on the left and right sides and i was told to deal with it and i will get use to it..so far its still bulky like i have cotton baton in my mouth.. im miserable and he is so busy with other patients and its hard to see him..they fit me in when they can or have a cancelation..is this common for doctors to not see patients unless they can squeeze them in?
    help! any suggestions and advice will help me ..thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: ten hours of prep for a top and bottom temp full bridge..

Try taking aleve for several days in a row - it may help break the pain cycle and get the tooth to calm down - the package states 2 tablets a day but you can safely take up to 6 a day which would bring it almost up to the standard prescription dosage for naproxen. Its an ANSAID so watch your stomach if you are sensitive to drugs.

I sympathize with you - I went through something similar many years ago and was so glad when I tfinally got the perms in and didn't have to go back - it seemed like I was in the dentist chair every week for a year for several hrs each time - I hate the way dentists rotate patients - a simple appt can take at least an hr when it should take 15 mins and if more time is needed you can be there for 2-3 hrs. For a while I had 2-3 appts booked ahead of time otherwise I would have to wait 6- 8 weeks for an appt - I started thinking it was better to just keep a few appts booked just in case and then cancel them a day or 2 before the date if I felt I didn't need to go in.

Although some adjustment may be needed to get used to the new material in your mouth insist that the dentist adjusts it if it interferes with speaking or enunciation, tongue movement or swallowing, facial expressions, causes facial muscle fatigue or tiredness or affects your ability ot open and close your mouth comfortably. It may take several appts until it fits comfortably but it is important that it does - just keep gong back until it does - do not be talked into something that does not feel comfortable or like your natural teeth - it can cause more problems than you can imagine. Guess you can say - I have been there and done that and know a lot more than I should need to about this.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
    valerie1251
    (female)

valerie1251 HB User

hi thelma
    you seem to have been through alot too! its difficult and hopefully will be worth it in the end..i can only take tylenol and it worked great for all three bonegrafts and a sinus lift and implants..i did no heavy painkillers because of the side affects .
    my dentist told me i will adjust and as the swelling on the bottom jaw came down from the four implants i felt the molars from the top bridge dig into my cheeks more..i was told by the periodontist that the bridge will feel different when that happens..so now im feeling like cotton on both sides..yes my upper jaw is tired under my cheek bones and i have a suspicion its from not being able to chew food because the only place i can chew is on the right side where the tooth or gum is painful only when i try...i use my tongue and cheek muscles to melt the food and swallow..i feel like this is torture and never thought it would be like this after this two day procedure. im not in horrible pain just uncomfortable now .its getting better except for the back molar which had an old cap and he removed the decay from it too..im not sure until he will see me to let me know what is going on with it. ..i paid 10,000.00 for this temp on the top and bottoms ..i will wear it for a year until i get all my implants and individual caps placed..i never thought i could do this total makeover..been through so much so far and the last hard part is the five implants on the top..this is why i need him to adjust this bridge before the next surgery..i don't understand why they cannot fit us in and now im thinking its not uncommon. we start to resent our doctors for not being more attentive especially to a huge case..this will cost me close to 90,000.00 in two years between both doctors. i appreciate your response and if you have any other advice please feel free to share..thanks! valerie

Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
    Youngone22
    (female)

Youngone22 HB User

Valerie-
    I feel you're pain...i'm 23 years old and missing lots of teeth due to genetics. What was your experience with the sinus lift and the implants? I'm getting a sinus lift done soon with 3 to 4 implants done on the top, and am ridiculous nervous and scared...my dentist said i could get the sinus lift done on a friday and be back at work monday wearing my partial (i currently wear a partial, and he said this all did depend on swelling)...what was your experience?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
    valerie1251
    (female)

valerie1251 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youngone22 View Post
    Valerie-
    I feel you're pain...i'm 23 years old and missing lots of teeth due to genetics. What was your experience with the sinus lift and the implants? I'm getting a sinus lift done soon with 3 to 4 implants done on the top, and am ridiculous nervous and scared...my dentist said i could get the sinus lift done on a friday and be back at work monday wearing my partial (i currently wear a partial, and he said this all did depend on swelling)...what was your experience?
    its not easy but its not horrible either..i get really swollen after the procedures ..ice for 24 hours and then moist heat until the swelling subsides..i didn't have alot of pain and only took extra strength tylenol..im on clindamycin three times a day which dentists love to prescribe because its one of the only drugs that will kill all the bacteria in the surgical site. this past tuesday i had five implants ,two bonegrafts and one extraction..it took one and a half hours.he had to place my upper temp bridge back again so all of the small details took extra time. i have had tons of work in one year and the worst is over..never thought i could do it ! i still need to get my implant teeth and caps within the next year. once you make the commitment it becomes alot easier to deal with..don't be afraid because you are only going to have teeth back again and not worry about partials which i could not adjust to..when are you going in?

Closed Thread