It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• rootcanal gone wrong

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
    ajisunhappy
    (female)

ajisunhappy HB User
    Angry rootcanal gone wrong

i had a root canal done it has been a horrible experience.the dentist first overdosed me on antibitics and i ended up getting very sick.then he broke off a file in my canal.he tried to get the file out but couldnt he then sealed of the canals i went home in agony after a few days of suffering i called the dentist begging for some kind of relief.he told me he thought he should extract the bad half of my tooth(the main molar)that half was good and the other half was still infected (of course after being on antibitics for 6 weeks how could that be)by extracting it it would take out the infection and the file that was still stuck in there the i would be painfree well it didnt work out that way turns out he took out the wrong half of my tooth and it didnt need to be taken out anyway my pain is caused by the file stuck in the canal it is sitting on my nerve he says to get oral surgery now to get the file out that will be the only way to end my agony i have lost half my tooth for no reason i am still in agony and orals surgery cost a fortune any advice ?can i sue?

Last edited by ajisunhappy; 10-07-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: rootcanal gone wrong

Yes you can sue but first why don't you try to negotiate with him. Tell the dentist that since he caused this to happen then instead of a lawsuit perhaps he would pay for your oral surgeon to extract his mistake. If you do plan to sue get yourself a good medical lawsuit attorney.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And go to an endodontist for your next root canal!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
    ajisunhappy
    (female)

ajisunhappy HB User
    update on my root canal gone bad

here is a little update on my root canal gone bad if you have any advice please let me know i did what ann sugested i spoke with my dentist who told me to wait a week and see what happens i can not wait a week every day i suffer in agony there has been no change and i dont beleve there will be i cant find an oral surgeon who will do anything because i can not pay them i have asked about payment plans but without good credit i cant get approved i cant continue to suffer like this my dentist has made it clear he does not plan on paying for his mistake (how unfair is that)any advice on what to do next please help

Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: update on my root canal gone bad

Go to an endodontist...if there is a dental school nearby, try them.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
    sohard
    (female)

sohard HB User

[Removed] I can't even imagine something like this happening in our office. Sit down and document EVERYTHING that happened, what you told him, what he said, times, date, the more detailed the better. The State Dental Board has regulation that protect the patient in situations like this. The very least he could do is set you up with an endo and make sure you get payment arrangements. When you discussed this with him did you mention the possibility of retaining an attorney - if not, maybe you should - that might make him rethink his answer. Definately contact an attorney and get what you are entitled.

[Do not mention your professional medical title. Please read more about this by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 10-16-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
    dentalphobic
    (female)

dentalphobic HB User

There should be a local chapter of the American Dental Assoc in your state and then districts within the state. They often offer mediation services that focus mostly on financial issues. You might look into this before getting an attorney involved. Once they get involved the costs go up.....

Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
    jenny1234
    (female)

jenny1234 HB User

Do a search for dental attorneys if you plan to pursue that route. It is very difficult to find someone to take on a malpractice suit. They are expensive and logic goes out the window.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-17-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
    dogeyed
    (female)

dogeyed HB User

If he was in there doing a root canal to begin with, he should not have any difficulty returning to the scene of the operation site and resolving the problem entirely. He should be able to remove absolutely everything left associated with that tooth, including the lodged file, any remaining tooth, the nerve, all of it. You don't need ANY part of that tooth left in there. Just get it OUTTA there. Give him the okay to get all of it out. Since your pocketbook is light, surely he will do this at no additional charge. However, if he feels the situation is now out of his expertise, and you have no cash, go to your county health department, and they will direct you to a dentist who will handle this at no cost.

If I'm confusing what you're trying to tell us, please clarify. But I think you should cut your losses, end the problem quickly, and move forward. Also, as for the antibiotic that made you sick before, if you'll put Acidophilus on your cereal for about a week, your tummy will feel better. Anytime I finish a round of antibiotic, always consume "good bacteria" provided by that kind of milk, they also make a yogurt, to restore normal digestive function.

Last edited by dogeyed; 12-17-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
    bergerbaby
    Veteran
    (female)

bergerbaby HB User

i'm too confused,i've had a lot of root canals done,and as far as i'm aware ,i cant remember a file being used?
    little stick things that clean out the tooth but if he has taken out the root canal it shouldnt hurt any more.unless he has left a nerve in there still?

but ,it is obvious something is wrong if it is really painful ,he has to do it right ,or get onto dental omnibus that deals with dental complaints
    as for suing ,,it cost you lots of money and its hard to sue a dentist ,as you have to prove its negligence and not a mistake

well it is hard suing in england anyway not sure how easy it is to sue a dentist in america etc.
    also once youve sued a dentist or tried even if you dont complete it ,you find it hard finding another dentist that treat you well next time
    i know as i tried years ago

Closed Thread