It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Neighboring Tooth Breaks During Extraction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
    Kimberlie
    (female)

Kimberlie HB User
    Neighboring Tooth Breaks During Extraction

Has anyone else had this happen? Today while having a molar extracted, the oral surgeon accidently broke the tooth in front of the extracted tooth. It was the amalgam filling that broke (there was no tooth matter on the piece that broke off - he showed it to me), and it is a rather large section of tooth. The remaining part that is left is really jagged and pokes the underside of my tongue. The tooth broke while he was trying to remove the crown on top of the tooth that was being extracted. He did call my regular dentist and left a message, and told me not to wait too long to get it fixed. He was hoping it could be repaired with just a new filling and might not require a crown. I won't know until I see my regular dentist. I can't afford another crown (or a root canal), so I'm hoping a filling will do it. If it requires more, I don't know what I'm going to do. The oral surgeon was very thoughtful and called me at home this evening to make sure I was doing ok (I had a really bad infection under the extracted tooth, which is probably the main reason why he called me at home, but I'm sure he felt bad about the broken tooth too).

Has anyone had this happen? If so, what did you do?

Thanks,
    Kimberlie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
    bergerbaby
    Veteran
    (female)

bergerbaby HB User
    Re: Neighboring Tooth Breaks During Extraction

well,it happened to me the other week ,when i had a tooth extracted ,the new crown i had only just replaced,(second time in fact)
    he took big chunk out of the crown leaving the crown in half

by rights ,the dentist should replace it ,for free ,but i have so many problems with dentists at moment ,i cannot afford to make a fuss ,until i getr my other teeth sorted out ,then i may say about whats he going to do about the crown he has broke

obviously your oral surgeon rang you at home (which they dont normally do)
    as he is concerned what he has done,i would if i was you ,dotn shout or anythign ,just calmly say ," is he prepared to pay for new crown to be put on the tooth he broke" see what he says ?

hopefully if he is a decent dentist he will put one on free of charge
    as i cant see your own dentist doing it for free ,as he never broke it

good luck

Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
    Kimberlie
    (female)

Kimberlie HB User

Thanks for the advice. I called my regular dentist (the one who referred me to this oral surgeon), and his office did acknowledge that the oral surgeon did call them about breaking my tooth during the extraction. I tried making an appointment to be seen (I already have an appointment for Feb. 12 to have a crown put on an upper back molar which lost a large filling prior to all of this), and I was told that if I come in before the 12th to have this new broken tooth looked at (the one the oral surgeon broke), they'll have to charge me an "emergency fee" which I can't afford right now (they'll charge me the fee even if my appointment is a week from now). So it looks like I have to wait until the 12th to have this newly broken tooth looked at (and it's not even my fault!). My husband says he thinks it's time to find a new dentist. My old dentist (in another state) never charged these "emergency fees", even if I came in the next morning.

The tooth that the oral surgeon broke started to hurt somewhat (I feel it each time the pain meds wear off between doses -- the pain meds I was given for the extraction). I'm hoping the tooth he broke doesn't need a root canal and a crown, but I'm scared. I'm already dealing with an infection underneath the extracted tooth site (which is why the endodontist I was referred to recommended the extraction -- my regular dentist referred me to him too). The infection was so bad that it deteriorated some of the bone in that area, and I was told I was lucky it didn't spread down my neck. I didn't feel it apparently because I'd already had a root canal done twice on that tooth. The tooth that is now broken didn't have anything wrong with it, other than an existing filling. The endodontist even checked it out when he looked at the infected tooth, and the tooth (that is now broken) was fine. It really ticks me off.

I do know the oral surgeon had me sign a release form before he did the extraction (I didn't get a copy), so I'm sure he had me sign away my rights in case a tooth did get damaged. He never mentioned one thing about covering the cost of the repair, so I'm guessing the bill will fall to me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited by Kimberlie; 01-26-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
    bergerbaby
    Veteran
    (female)

bergerbaby HB User

i think thats disgusting ,you shouldnt get charged emergancy fee?

emergency fee is charged if you want a straight away appointment on that day ,also as the pain is caused by the dentist they should waive the fee too
    read your copy of what you signed see ,what it says? what you could do ,is take them to a small claims court .get the money that way,but in mean time is there a dental hospital you could go to for emergancy treatment for free near you?

for now all i can suggest is to gargle warm salt water to keep infection away from the tooth and take nurofen pain killers until you get it sorted

well i hope you get it sorted out soon as pain isnt nice teeth pain is one of the nasty pain you can have

Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
    Kimberlie
    (female)

Kimberlie HB User

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I called both the oral surgeon and my regular dentist today and made an appointment with each. The appointment with the surgeon is the follow-up he requested but that they forgot to schedule the day my tooth was pulled. I also requested a copy of the release form (they called it a consent form), and I'll get that when I go in for my follow-up appointment next Monday.

I also thought I'd give it another shot in calling my regular dentist, and this time I got a different receptionist. This one wanted to get me in immediately and gave me the only open appointment available for tomorrow. She couldn't tell me whether or not I would get charged an emergency fee, but she was very sympathetic to my situation. It was like a night and day difference between her and the first receptionist. Hard to believe they work for the same dentist.

Hopefully it won't be too bad, and the oral surgeon is willing to own up to the repair. The area near the broken tooth is still very tender (due to the extracted tooth), but from what I can see, the break in the tooth goes below the gumline. We'll see what happens, but I hope and pray for the best.

Kimberlie

Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
    bergerbaby
    Veteran
    (female)

bergerbaby HB User

yes its amazing how two different receptionist can be different ,like you say working for same company.

well,they shouldnt charge you ,for emergancy appointment ,if they do get a reciept from them what you paid.
    firstly i give the oral surgeon ,the chance to pay for the treatment for the damage he has done ,he is insured. always keep a copy of all letters or reciepts and never give over original

but hopefully the surgeon will pay it without any quibble .but if you do have to pay take them to a small claims court ,you can claim up to £500 far easier than taking them to court,and also more guaranteed to get money back from them

well good luck kimberlie i hope you get sorted soon

Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
    Kimberlie
    (female)

Kimberlie HB User

Bergerbaby,

Thanks for your reply. I visited my regular dentist today, and in short, the tooth that the surgeon broke needs a crown. It fortunately does not need a root canal. My regular dentist said that he can't do any work in that area for at least three months because the damage done by the infection was so extensive and needs time to heal. He did smooth down the break in the filling so it stops poking the underside of my tongue. My dentist recommended that I put a bridge in, so we're going to look at the cost for that a few months down the road, when my insurance starts over again in the new fiscal year (which will be July 1). He did say that the oral surgeon called him and was very concerned, so I don't know if the oral surgeon plans to help with the bill on the broken tooth. I see him next Monday so I'll see what he says then.

Kimberlie

Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
    bergerbaby
    Veteran
    (female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimberlie View Post
    Bergerbaby,

Thanks for your reply. I visited my regular dentist today, and in short, the tooth that the surgeon broke needs a crown. It fortunately does not need a root canal. My regular dentist said that he can't do any work in that area for at least three months because the damage done by the infection was so extensive and needs time to heal. He did smooth down the break in the filling so it stops poking the underside of my tongue. My dentist recommended that I put a bridge in, so we're going to look at the cost for that a few months down the road, when my insurance starts over again in the new fiscal year (which will be July 1). He did say that the oral surgeon called him and was very concerned, so I don't know if the oral surgeon plans to help with the bill on the broken tooth. I see him next Monday so I'll see what he says then.

Kimberlie
    hi kimberly ,make sire the infection is gone first your dentist cannot fit a bridge while an infection is there
    .well as long as your not in any discomfort at moment until it can be sorted,
    but i would of thought ,they would pay for the treatment to be done as it was their mistake or at least pay most of it

well good luck let us know what happens
    lorraine

Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
    Kimberlie
    (female)

Kimberlie HB User

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. My mother and my mother-in-law were both very concerned and strongly feel that the oral surgeon should be responsible for the repair of the tooth he broke, and I agree. As for the bridge, I was going to wait at least a year or two before I even considered doing this (because of the cost), but now with the broken tooth, I'm forced to do something sooner.

In speaking with my regular dentist, he insisted that we let the area completely heal before we pursue any sort of repair. The biggest concern right now is to get rid of the infection totally, but I cannot eat on the right side of my mouth at all (even after the extraction site is healed), until the broken tooth is repaired. My dentist emphasized I have to be VERY careful while eating, and to avoid all chewing on my right side.

I'm really curious what the oral surgeon will have to say at my appointment on Monday. He should have to at least pay for part of the damage, as you stated. I am in total agreement. I just want my tooth put back the way it was, before the oral surgeon broke it. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Kimberlie

Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
    bergerbaby
    Veteran
    (female)

bergerbaby HB User

what if the dentist agrees to pay for the damage? could you be able to afford a bridge ,if he took the price for the damaged tooth ,off the price of the bridge?

or what you could ask your dentist once he has compensated ,you for the damaged tooth,if he could recommend you to a dental hospital ,and ask them to do you a bridge?
    and it be free? but thats if you have a dental hopsital near you?
    and that also if they agree to do it for you?

well good luck let us know how you get on kimberlie

lorraine

Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
    mop
    (female)

mop HB User
    Unhappy Re: Neighboring Tooth Breaks During Extraction

You poor thing! I just had #19 pulled, I cracked it down to the nerve. That was bad enough!
    Good luck! I agree with whoever said that tooth pain is the nastiest there is. I told my oral surgeon afterwards, that having babies (and mine were all C-section) was easier than this! He agreed with me!

Closed Thread