It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• New here and having major dental problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
    tuffyncompany
    (female)

tuffyncompany HB User
    New here and having major dental problems

Hi, my name is Karen and I just joined today.

I am having severe dental problems and facing having all my teeth pulled.

I have severe health problems one being severe osteoperosis which has done a number on my teeth and they are all breaking and crumbling. One of my front teeth is badly broken and last night I bit down on something and another piece broke off and a sliver of the tooth was shoved up into my gums. I was in such pain I was on the verge of trying to pull the dam thing myself.

I have seen a dentist of course and he is advising having all 4 front teeth pulled immediately as all 4 are cracked and broken off; having terrible pain in one of them.

Dental work is a nightmare for me. My teeth are very hard to pull; about 10 years ago I had to have 2 upper jaw teeth pulled and in the process of getting them out, the dentist fractured my cheek bone and broke into a sinus all from the pressure of getting the 2 teeth out.

I have had cervical spine surgery and I have hardware in my neck but I also have stress fractures in my neck above and below the hardware so I am very concerned about my neck trying to hold still enough in the chair to get the teeth out. I am considering having the dentist to do outpatient surgery and just pull them all.

I am completely disabled from 6 herniated discs in my back, I am on a lot of pain medicine all the time for my back so it kinda amazes me that I can feel this much pain from this broken tooth. I take Neurontin and Lyrica as a nerve blocker, Soma muscle relaxers, and I wear a Fentanyl pain patch all the time which I change every 3 days; dose is 100 mcgs and Perocet 10s twice a day for breakthrough pain. So as I said I am kinda amazed I am feeling this much pain with my broken tooth with all the pain meds I have in me including the narcotics.

Has anyone else done this, been put out and had them all pulled??

I am very upset about this but I really don't see any other way. I don't have any dental insurance but my CHAMPUS health insurance will pay if I have outpatient surgery and have them all pulled at once and then I will have to pay for the dentures.

I would really appreciate some good feedback, very worried and upset about this but I can't go on in this much pain.

I really feel like I am loosing everything, my health has totally fallen apart so at times I feel like well just loosing one more thing but I really don't want to loose my teeth but I don't see any other choice in the matter.

[Your signature has been edited to comply with the board guidelines. Do not post any websites with advertising or personal webpages with photos etc. Please read more about this and the other rules by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 02-11-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: New here and having major dental problems

A good oral surgeon will be able to sedate you and pull the teeth - I had all my wisdom teeth done that way as well as dental implants removal. Just be sure to tell him about each medication and doseage you are taking so he can advise you if any need to be stopped temporarily, determine what type of sedation would be best for you and take any other precautions necessary. Some OS's require your physicians written approval in these types of cases. Also you may want to check with your local hospital since many have oral surgeons on staff or offer referrals. Many people face losing their teeth for a variety of different reasons but with the advancements in dentures nowadays many do quite well after a period of adjustment - especially since for most it ends the constant pain, infections, dental appts, etc. Good luck - I wish you well.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: New here and having major dental problems

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope the oral surgeon can help you. I also have severe osteoporosis and worry about my teeth cracking and falling out. Once I became aware that I had it I started using a flouride rinse to keep from getting cavities and mostly it's worked although I've had to get crowns on some teeth and a couple of teeth pulled.

I had trouble also when the dentist went to pull the teeth that had to come out, and I couldn't figure out why since they were cracked and seemed unstable.

Anyways, I hope you got a second opinion just in case your front teeth can be saved and can be crowned.

Last edited by taape; 04-12-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Closed Thread