It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Is it possible to have gum disease with no bleeding of the gums or bad breath?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
    shelly84
    (female)

shelly84 HB User
    Is it possible to have gum disease with no bleeding of the gums or bad breath?

I had Gingivitis as a teenager (I'm 23 now) due to not so great oral hygiene. My parents never taught me to brush or take care of my teeth. I kind of learned to do it on my own after the first Gingivitis infection. I quit smoking this year but I have now noticed my gums have receded some on my bottom front teeth. My gums are a little reddish in some areas. I have no bleeding when I floss or brush and I have no bad breath or bad taste in my mouth now since I quit smoking. I believe the smoking caused my bad breath before because as soon as I stopped smoking it disappeared. I now brush 3 times a day with an electric toothbrush and floss 3 times a day too. I also use antibacterial mouthwash in the mornings and at night. I have never taken such good care of my teeth before this year so I am wondering why my gums are receding now all of a sudden. I don't brush too hard. I learned about that when I had the Gingivitis as a teen and I was careful to only use extra soft brushes and to not rub so hard on them when I brushed. The gums have receded far enough to where there are very small spaces in between some of my teeth. Not all of them but some that weren't there before. I'm very worried about this. My teeth look longer than before and it scares me. I went to my regular dentist last week and he did some scaling because I had some tartar buildup. I've always had problems with tartar buildup but I go to the dentist and they help with removing the plaque and stuff I missed. He didn't think it was a big deal. He told to just continue to brush and floss and use my mouthwash and to come back in 6 months. I contacted a periodontist though because I have been so worried. She said that the receding gums doesn't sound right if I am taking better care of my teeth now and she wants me to come in to check for Periodontitis and other things that could be causing it and to find out what can be done to fix whatever my problem is. My appointment is the day after tomorrow and I'm frightened I'm going to lose all of my teeth. Could I have never gotten rid of the Gingivitis before and now it has turned into Periodontitis? I thought I had gotten rid of it because after starting to brush a little better my doctor said my gums were much better. How long would it take for it to develop into Periodontitis? If that's what happened how come I don't have some common signs of gum disease such as bleeding and bad breath/taste in the mouth? How old are people usually when they get Periodontitis? I heard it doesn't usually happen till people are at least in their 30s but could it happen to someone my age too? I have so many questions and I'm not sure what to do now. Any help with answering my questions would be greatly appreciated. Also, any treatment tips are also welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
    nanaxiu
    (female)

nanaxiu HB User
    Talking Re: Is it possible to have gum disease with no bleeding of the gums or bad breath?

i think you dont have to worry because you always go to the dentist. it sounds that they're in the early stages of the disease so it's treatable. what did your periodontist say? treatments for them ould be a flap surgery, bone grafting, soft tissue grafts and guided tissue regeneration. hang in there. sounds like your situation is better that those people who have cracked tooth which is so hard to diagnose. best of luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Is it possible to have gum disease with no bleeding of the gums or bad breath?

First off its great you are not letting this go any further and seeing a perio is a good idea. Your gums were probably inflammed and irritated or puffy from the smoking and now that you have stopped they appear to have receded but may in fact may have just started returning to a more normal and healthy state. Most smokers with gingivitis do not see blood b/c the smoking constricts the blood vessels and not all get a bad taste in their mouth since the smoking tends to dull the taste/smell senses. Let the perio exam you for under lying tartar buildup and pockets - chances are she may want to do a deep cleaning - they all ususally do - but given your age and overall good health, not smoking and improved dental care, there's a very good chance should this be signs of gingivitis or even the early stage of periodontal disease it can be reversed or prevented from progressing to more advanced stages.

I am on the fence about some of the treatments perio's do since I feel in some ways they can make things worse however I was extremely upset with my regular dentist when he did not take my concerns seriously when I pointed out what seemed to me to be noticeable changes in my gums and teeth - only to find out after more than a year later that I did have pockets and was already into the intermediate stages of perio disease - since prevention is best you are doing the right thing by at least seeing the perio. Keep in mind you do not have to do or have done everything they suggest and if what they suggest seems extensive or too agressive - you should always get a 2nd opinion before proceeding but do so with a dr not affiliated or "friends" with the first.

Good Luck.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
    Lisaw
    (female)

Lisaw HB User
    Re: Is it possible to have gum disease with no bleeding of the gums or bad breath?

Hi Shelley, I was in a very similar situation as you 3 years ago. When I was younger I was never forced into brushing my teeth - my parents just presumed I did it. Anyway, 3 years ago when visiting the hygenist and the dentist, I was told that I was on the brink of gum disease and would be very lucky if I didnt lose all my teeth. My dentist blamed the smoking. Obviously I was so upset, I was determined to reverse it and I did. My hygenist was brilliant and gave me tips - each time before you brush, use a normal tooth brush first and flick between each gum, this takes away all the food deposits from the day (front and back), next use your electric toothbrush and brush as normal. Finally aswell as floss, use a Tepe brush, this brushes the gums inbetween your teeth. They come in all different sizes, you just need to find the one to fit the spaces between your teeth. Within 3 months, I had reversed it, (I didnt end up giving up smoking, just couldnt bring myself to do it). I go to my hygenist now every 6 months for a scaling and she is happy every time. Once you start doing it, it becomes like second nature. Try it, it can only help you and best of luck with your appointment

Closed Thread