It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Teeth Moved Back Years After Braces Came Off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
    graces23
    (female)

graces23 HB User
    Teeth Moved Back Years After Braces Came Off

I had braces when I was 11-14 years old, and they were mainly to straighten and push back my protruding buck teeth, but also to straighten all the others too.

I am 29 now by the way, so this was some time ago now.

The braces seemed to do their job, though they left my 2 front teeth with vertical ridges down the front (though this has lessened dramatically in the past 5-7 years, thankfully and is hardly noticeable anymore).

My problem is that following having the braces off (and the retainer thing you wear for a year afterwards), almost immediately I felt my front 4 teeth moving forward again...it wasn't really obvious but I was paranoid they were shifting slightly. Even when I was wearing the retainer just at night, every time I'd put it in after a day of not wearing it, it hurt and it felt like my front teeth were being pushed really hard back into an unnatural place.

Over the years it didn't change too much, but I was sure they'd moved a bit. Anyway, over the last 5 years or so, I DEFINITELY know they've moved back partially to how they were before. They're not buck teeth at all, but when I smile all you can see are these front 4 teeth and they come out way over my lower lip/teeth. When I bite down, I can fit my pointer finger in the gap between the top and bottom teeth just in the front 4 teeth.

This really upsets me, as my parents paid all that money and for what?? Why did my teeth move back after 3 years of being held in place with metal braces!! Has this happened to anyone else?

I want to get Invisalign braces to move them back again, but -

1. What if they didn't work/weren't strong enough? (I don't want to get metal braces or the clear metal type ones again. Yuck)

2. They're incredibly expensive,

3. And what if after doing so, the teeth just bounced back again? Apparently it's harder to move/mould teeth when you're an adult.

What to do!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
    missing9
    (female)

missing9 HB User
    Re: Teeth Moved Back Years After Braces Came Off

I know this is a really old thread so I wonder if you will ever read this... but oh god.. I hear you... the *exact* *exact* *exact* same thing has happened with me. Did you end up getting invisalign? I don't know if I am a candidate for invisalign since I have perio disease but one dentist recently suggested it.

Kind of going nuts with all these suggestions and opinions and complexities! I just take solace in the fact that god was unkind to me in only this aspect.

Closed Thread