It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• retainer re-opened bite?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
    sweetpea46
    (female)

sweetpea46 HB User
    retainer re-opened bite?

Right now I am dealing with a situation regarding an open bite. I had surgery to fix it in 2003 and I relapsed. My doctors are trying to figure out why I relapsed after so long because usually it is within the first year.

My concern is I had a clear plastic retainer that covered all my upper teeth. It was starting to wear down so my ortho made a thicker one. I always felt that the thicker one, which I still wear, did not fit my mouth properly. I don't think I was biting down on it evenly when I first got it. It feels fine to wear it now but my bite is open now. I'm afraid this retainer caused my bite to open up and I'm really afraid to mention it to my orthodontist.

I didn't want to tell him about my retainer when I first got it because he probably thinks I'm a pain as it is. I always seem to have a lot of problems with my mouth.

I feel terrible because I think this contributed to my relapse and I should have told him when I first got the retainer that it wasn't right. Before my surgery an oral surgeon made a splint for me, that looks just like my retainer, and my bite actually opened up more after wearing it. There was a doctor that didn't believe me that the splint made my bite worse and I can't remember if it was my ortho or not.

Do you guys think my retainer could actually open my bite up??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread