It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Permanent Crown and Temporary Not Fitting Correctly...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
    shineon2
    (female)

shineon2 HB User
    Permanent Crown and Temporary Not Fitting Correctly...

Hello All!

About 10 days ago I had a perm. crown put on my upper left molar and temp. crown on the lower left molar. Neither fit correctly and I am having thermal sensitivity on both - even the air is irritating. Had bite adjusted but to no avail - still sensitive to temp.,'s and some foods (powergel and anything even a tad sweet). Chewing is fine.

I may need RCT on the bottom molar and my dentist has offered to redo the top perm. crown. So I do have a pretty good plan but I was wondering how typical is it for the crown - especially the perm. crown to not fit correctly? Is it something that is quite typical? I know the temp. is not custome fit but the Endodontist noticed a very big gap between the crown and gum lineand placed something there to block stuff from getting under it. Why couldn't my regular dentist have done that when I went back to her complaining of sensitivity? I have had some other things that have not gone very smooth with her but she is also very open make good and fix things.

I do not have the option of using the other side of my mouth because there is a root canal that I had done a while ago that is still quite sensitive and I am getting quite irritable that I really cannot eat normally - pain cycle gets worse when ya don't or can't eat!

So I guess enough rambling here....So is it common to go a couple of rounds before you get the crown to fit correctly - not in terms of bite but structure? And should there be that much space between a temp and the gum line?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: Permanent Crown and Temporary Not Fitting Correctly...

The sensitivity is something you do seem to experience and something you yourself might have to adjust to and for me it takes a long time for my 'mouth' to settle down after dental work. However, the fit is entirely the control of the dentist. I have had many crowns done by various dentists and I never had one that didn't fit correctly...I am thinking your dentist just doesn't do them right. I had a very nice older dentist that just couldn't seem to get root canals right the first time out...gosh I shiver when I think of him. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Teeth newly or recently prepped for crowns tend to be a bit sensitive due to them being filed down - they sometimes need time to settle down and recover from the trauma - sometimes though the nerve has been damaged and then a rc is necessary.

I have found that my temps were always fine but the perms were always too bulky and big - I would have to agree that regardless of whether a dentist has an on-site lab or sends his work to an outside lab its really up to them to make sure it is fitting properly. Sometimes I think though the dentist and/or the lab infuse their own judgement in their "creation" instead of just relying on the impression or model and the patients other teeth to guide them.

My guess is that your gums might have been slightly swollen maybe due to the prepping and so forth when the temp was made and the space or gap developed as they returned to normal which then allowed the tooth to be exposed. Some dentists wrap a string or piece of floss around the base of the tooth when taking impressions to make temps and/or perms as this pushes the gum down a bit so the margin is deeper and they get a better fit.

At least your dentist is willing to correct it - I had one dentist that refused to even admit his crowns were not right - if I didn't like how they looked - he would say they "had to be that way", if they hurt he would say "I would get used to it" - and the teeth he made were just awful - they looked like big yellow/tan horse teeth (like Mr Ed, if anyone remembers him). When I started getting facial pain - I think my muscles were being overworked trying to get around his horse teeth - he said "it can't be from the teeth I made" - well it wasn't coming from my natural teeth since I had them for 40 years and my face never hurt.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
    shineon2
    (female)

shineon2 HB User

Thanks for the feedback. It has been 8 months of dental mess up's and my patience is running low. The endodontist noticed a gap between the temp and perm. and my gum line and we both were wondering why she did not take care of it the day before when I was in her office. He put some filler 'stuff' there and it feels so much better! Just so much back and forth and so much thinking when I eat - like...hot and cold on this side please, crunching and chewing on the other side only!

I know it is not an exact science but I am beginning to question her skill level. She gets an A for effort and accountaility and willingness to get it right, but at some point in time I just want everything to fit right and for the thousnds of dollars that I have paid I would like to just be able to eat normally!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread