It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tooth Extraction Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
    jeff's girl
    (female)

jeff's girl HB User
    Smile Tooth Extraction Questions

I had a root canal on #31 (2nd molar from last on the bottom right) 2 years ago. After having discomfort followed by pain for a couple of months starting about a year ago, the endodontist suggested an apicoectomy.

In an apicoectomy, the root tip is removed along with the infected tissue. I have bad teeth, thanks to my dad and heredity and I've had 6 root canals, all by the same endodontist and this is the first tooth I've had a recurring problem with.

I went back to the doctor three weeks ago and she did xrays, and recommended a course of strong antibiotics and a medrol dosepak (steroids) and nothing helped. In fact, I now have visible abscess on the outside of my gum below the tooth so I'm on a different antibiotic. She didn't charge me and I feel she's always been very honest with me. She hasn't charged me for several visits that did not fall in the time period of post-op care.

Anyway, I will now get to the point. Sorry to babble. She has referred me to an oral surgeon so I can have it extracted. She said she could do another surgery on it but she can't guarantee it will help, especially with the history of the tooth. She told me this tooth has very deep roots that are difficult to get to the tips of so I'm concerned about the extraction. I don't have doubts that it needs to come out but with the abscess and long roots I'm concerned about the procedure as well as the pain afterward. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Do they generally give adequate pain medication, besides just ibuprofen or nsaids, following surgery? How long can I expect pain after the surgery?

Also, I'm wondering about an implant vs. a bridge or if I can get away with nothing at all. My insurance isn't great and it doesn't cover the implant at all, just the extraction and a bridge. And my portion is still pretty steep. I'm looking at around $500 for just the extraction.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Tooth Extraction Questions

Unfortunately, I've had teeth extracted that were molars. It was more scary than painful for me. The had really strong novacaine or whatever they use and I didn't feel anything but pressure although it sounded like my whole jaw was going to break. I had stitches that became annoying after a few days but didn't hurt. I just used antiinflammatory meds for a few days and did salt water rinses. One tooth was in really bad shape so I felt better after it was gone. Get some soft foods ready like yogurt for a few days.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User

I've also had several back molars extracted using only a local -- no pain, just pressure and the noise were bothersome. Post op -- just ibuprophen. Pain was really minimal.

Try going without an implant and see how you make out. If you feel you want a tooth back there, you can always do an implant down the road.

Good luck with the extraction.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
    jeff's girl
    (female)

jeff's girl HB User

Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I know it's a minor issue compared to what a lot of people are going through.

Any other input would be appreciated, too. So anyone else is welcome to chime in.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
    jacciesue
    (female)

jacciesue HB User

Hi Guys

I am having my teeth extracted day after tomorrow and I can proudly admit I am scared to death. I am anxious to get it done so that I can be able to smile and not be afraid of letting people see my teeth.

All my teeth will be extracted while being knocked out (because I am a coward) and when I wake up I am told my new dentures will be in my mouth. I have so many questions and no one to talk to

Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #6
    RobertInCT
    (male)

RobertInCT HB User

jacciesue: may I ask why you had all your teeth extracted? How did it go and how are you now?

Last edited by RobertInCT; 12-09-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
    jacciesue
    (female)

jacciesue HB User

I had all my teeth pulled because most of my teeth were broken. I had a very bad experience as a young adult so I had not seen a dentist in about 30+years. I am doin wonderful with my dentures. It's the best thing I have done for myself. The only problem is I dont know how to get the glue out of my mouth when I remove my dentures at night LOL Lots of mouthwash LOL

Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
    jacciesue
    (female)

jacciesue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertInCT View Post
    jacciesue: may I ask why you had all your teeth extracted? How did it go and how are you now?
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS

Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 AM   #9
    RobertInCT
    (male)

RobertInCT HB User

Wow! All your teeth are gone? I'm jealous How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? Did the doctor extract all your teeth in one operation? How was your recovery period?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
    WorriednNervous
    (female)

WorriednNervous HB User

I just had four teeth remove and next week I get the last seven taken out. I had them taken out Wednesday and so far no pain. I have had a headache pretty much all day today but I think its just my sinus acting funny from the procedure (I had top front four done). The dentist was able to get the whole tooth out without any breaking so I have to bits of tooth working their way up and thats why I think I am having no pain. Btw I am 28.

RobertinCT; are you about to have some taken out.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
    Daila
    (female)

Daila HB User

Hi, well let me start by saying because of my vanity and being a woman, loosing your own teeth is a very emotional thing. I lost my top teeth when I was 45 and now I sm looding the two bottom teeth in the front. I am getting a flipper to replace those teeth for the time being until the area heals. It's happening this coming Thursday and I have some questions. You really hear some horror stories about a bottom flipper! It is true, you talk funny? Are they hard to keep in? Do they look like your natural teeth?

Closed Thread