It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Bleeding gums

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
    Bleeding gums

Hi everyone,

For the past week or so, I've noticed when I floss and brush my teeth, my gums really bleed (I'm not talking a little pink, but they bleed bright red, quite a bit). I have always had good, healthy teeth, and good dental habits. I am pregnant however, so I'm not sure if this could have something to do with the onset of the bleeding. Could this be gingivitis? I'm a little worried, because it usually takes a couple weeks to get in to see my dentist. I will call today and make an appointment, but in the meantime, I'm curious as to what other's opinions are. TIA!!

Whiskers
    Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
    Tim in MA
    (male)

Tim in MA HB User
    Re: Bleeding gums

It's defnitely a sign of gingivitus. If not corrected, it can turn into Periodontal Disease. I have heard that pregnancies can bring on these systems quite swiftly. Get into a dentist ASAP and have them check up on you. In the mean time, I'd floss regularly (perosnally I do it twice a day) and make sure your technique is right. Sonicare toothbrush is good. I've taking supplements to help stop the bleeding - mutlivatimin, Vitamin C, and Coenzyme q10. They've helped me...but not sure if they are suitable for pregnant woman. Rinsing with warm salt water can help too. When was the last time you had a cleaning? It's probably time to get them done again.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the reply, Tim!
    I've done some research myself, and I believe that's exactly what this is. I will try rinsing with the warm salt water, and I've been flossing more than I normally do lately, and the bleeding seems to have gone down somewhat (when I floss, or brush).
    I do take a prenatal vitamin, and also extra vitamin C, thanks for the tip though!
    I'll make an appointment right now. You're right, I am due for a check up--my dentist said to come once a year, and it's been just over that (I think about 13 months). So I needed to go in anyway.

Whiskers

Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, just wanted to update that I can't get in to see my dentist until Oct. 2 (for different reasons)! If this is gingivitis, is it possible for it to develop into something serious by waiting 3 weeks?

Whiskers

Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
    Tim in MA
    (male)

Tim in MA HB User

I don't think it could develop that quickly, but I've always been told that bleeding gums are the smoke, indicating there's a fire (ie infection) under your gums. I visited my dentist (again) yesterday and she suggested I start using The Natural Denist Mouthwash for my gums. It's got all sorts of natural ingrediants (aloe, echanacia, etc.) that she says have done wonders for her other patients. Also make sure you're flossing & brushing technique are correct, and you're using Colgate toothpaste. I brush first using sonicare at a 45 degree angle, holding it very lightly against the teeth and gums. It has a timer so that I brush 30 seconds on each quadrant. When I'm done, I floss making sure to go up and down each tooth a couple of times, going up into the gum line, but not pushing too hard. Finally I rinse either with Act or the new mouth rinse she reccomended. I do that twice a day after breakfast and before bed, and a quick brush after lunch. After snacks I always immediately rinse my mouth out with a little warm water to get all the food particles away from my teeth & gums. I'm very anal about it, but I'm young (30) and already have periodontal disdease, so I'm trying to maintain and not get worse.

( removed ) I wouldn't get too worried about it until you have a chance to talk to your Dr. and Dentist. Might be worth calling your Dr. based on what they are saying in here.

On another note, if the earliest your dentist can see you is in October (and I assume they know you're pregnant and have bleeding gums) I would start looking for another dentist ASAP. I found mine through referrals and talking to people at work. She's a further drive away, but I can usually get into see her anytime I want within 1 day's notice. I've been through a few dentists over the past years and can tell you that some are great, some are complete jerks who don't know how to effecitvely treat their patients. You should be able to call any dentist and say you want a "consult" to have them quickly evaluate your condition.

Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-11-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Closed Thread