It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Blindness after orthognathic surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
    kantele
    (male)

kantele HB User
    Blindness after orthognathic surgery?

Ok,i don;t want to scare anyone who will be having jaw surgery,but i am a candidate too (underbiter),and want some information.I think it is a rare complication of lefort 1 osteotomy,which is used to move your upper jaw.The problem is the oral surgeons i visited did'nt mention anything about it.Maybe they don't want to scare their patients?Do you knwo anything about this rare but devastating complication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
    anitak1982
    Veteran
    (female)

anitak1982 HB User
    Re: Blindness after orthognathic surgery?

My daughter had this surgery. Her surgeon was extremely skilled and did an amazing job. She has had no complications. Her smile is perfect and she is gorgeous. I have never heard of anyone becoming blind after this surgery.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
    kantele
    (male)

kantele HB User

Your daughter si very lucky that se had no complications,because from the things i heard,it is very uncommon to have no complications when repositioning both jaws.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
    anitak1982
    Veteran
    (female)

anitak1982 HB User

Your first post mentioned the upper jaw. She has not had the first problems from having her upper jaw split, widened, lowered in back, and moved forward 4mm. She looks amazing and you would think so too if you were to see her before and after pictures.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
    cynic
    (female)

cynic HB User

I don't know if blindness is a risk specific to this type of surgery. I knew a woman who went blind after a tummy tuck. It had something to do with a build up of pressure behind her eyes. She went to a reputable clinic. It wasn't malpractice. It was just one of those rare risks that no one pays attention to until it happens to them.

I had a LeForte 1 several years ago. I was very fortunate. My surgeon and orthodontist both told me that I healed nicely and faster than average. I haven't noticed any long-term complications or side effects other than loss of sensation in my upper gums. At this point, I doubt I'll ever get it back. I have to be more careful with hygiene now since I can't tell if I have food stuck between my teeth which has lead to a few more cavities, but I feel it's a small price to pay. The surgery didn't meet all my expectations cosmetically, but I'm satisfied overall and I'm definitely happy I did it.

I've heard that orthognathic patients have a high satisfaction rate. Of course, everyone is different and all surgery carries very real risks. I would think blindness is an exceedingly rare complication, which is probably why it wasn't addressed specifically. There a lot of things that could happen, most don't. It's really up to you whether the risk is worth it. I personally feel I gained a lot, both functionally and cosmetically. I may have made a different decision if the surgery was solely for looks though.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
    kantele
    (male)

kantele HB User

Thanks for the post cynic.My case is purely for cosmetic reasons.IF it was to do only the lower jaw,perhaps i would do it.But i dont' want to mess with the upper jaw too,as things in double jaw surgery are more complicated.I know that a nice smilel is priceless,but i guess i wil llive with my underbite.

Closed Thread