It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Bone grafting for dental implants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
    cutie777
    (female)

cutie777 HB User
    Bone grafting for dental implants

Hello all,

Has anyone had to have bone grafting before getting implants?

If so, where did the bone come from? Was it a major operation? How much time is there in between getting the bone grafting and the implants?

I may need to have this done before getting my implants and I'm terrified!

Thank you

Cutie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
    Gellia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
    Re: Bone grafting for dental implants

Hi,
    I just had four implants, bone grafts and guided tissue regeneration. It's alot of big words for relatively easy procedures. When the hole is made for the implant (or the hole from an extraction, like I had), they will use what I like to refer to as "bone in a bottle". Every dentist has his own favorite. Many use synthetic bone or cadaver bone. I had cadaver bone. It's just squirted into the implant hole with a syringe and you feel nothing. The GTR is a piece of membrane (again made from collegen) that is placed over the bone graft, not only to keep it in place but to protect it. If you have enough gum, you don't need the GTR.

It's really nothing to worry about. For me, the hardest part was the novocaine. After that, it was really nothing. I was swollen for about three days or so, and it was a bit uncomfortable, but I've had more pain from a filling! My dentist gave me some pain meds and I was really comfortable. Came home and ate mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner and five days later was eating chicken and ribs!

Try not to worry. I worried all summer about my procedure so I've done it for you. LOL
    On a scale of 1 - 10....it placed about a 2!
    Best to you,
    Gellia

Old 01-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
    sa48726
    (male)

sa48726 HB User

I had a bone graft before my implant. The bone is freeze dried bone that your dentist or oral surgeon should have on hand. If you have to have a bone graft then you probably have a lot of bone loss. They put that extra bone there to have somewhere to place the implant. For me it took 3-4 months for the bone graft to heal, then another 3-4 months for the implant to heal before they can actually place the tooth. A half year or so for the whole procedure.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
    Becky2008
    (female)

Becky2008 HB User

I had a bone graft prior to implant placement. They actually took the bone from the back of my jaw. Chances are that they won't do this on you though. Technological advancements allow for several other options that don't require them to harvest your own bone. If your doctor decides that you need to harvest your own bone, the most common places to harvest the bone are the jaw, chin or hip. But, as I said, they will likely be able to avoid this. The implant placement is really pretty easy. You'll do great and if you are nervous you can request IV sedation. Good luck!

Closed Thread