It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Immediate dentures or not...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
    teethrgone
    (female)

teethrgone HB User
    Immediate dentures or not...

First, I am so glad I found this forum. I had so many questions and was able to find the answers in so many of the former threads.

Second, I have a question that I was unable to find. I have went to the dentist and he has recommended that all of my teeth be removed. Almost all of them, that are left, need root canals. He decided that removal would be the best choice and I agree. I have had too many broken teeth and extractions already and I am tired of the pain.

Anyhow, the dentist told me that they could do it there, under local anesthesia, or I could go to an oral surgeon and have it done while I was out. I chose to be knocked out. My problem is this: I am supposed to go back to the dentist about 2 months after the surgery to get my dentures. They said that I would not be getting immediate dentures. I thought immediates where part of the normal procedure nowadays and that they very rarely let people go so long without any teeth.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would really appreciate any feedback that any of you could give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
    moneyshot
    (male)

moneyshot HB User
    Re: Immediate dentures or not...

I had all my upper teeth removed just over 2 weeks ago. The dentist was
    trying hard to get me to go without a immediate denture, he wasnt clear
    on WHY...he just said it was his advise as a dentist.
    I think it has something to do with how much of a pain in the butt it is.
    I was persistent...I am not going 3 months without teeth in public or at work.

They look GREAT...but for me as of yet they serve no other purpose.
    I was supposed to have ALL my teeth out but getting the tops out
    took allot out of me I guess and he chose to pull the bottoms end of Jan.
    I went through the surgery with oral sedation rather than be knocked out.

Immediate dentures help protect the top gums, they act as a band aid.
    3 days after surgery I had to go back to the dentist to have em out and
    take a look around..that was "uncomfortable".
    Expect to go back to the dentist about 3 or 4 times the first 2 weeks after extraction for fitting issues.

I would do it again....immediate dentures all the way for me

MS

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Most people do get immediates, I did and would again. the gums don't finish shrinking till around 10-12 months so chance are even a permanent denture would need a reline by then.

I would be an immediate denture and get relines for the first year and then get a permanent one.

Who wants to go without teeth for two months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
    teethrgone
    (female)

teethrgone HB User

Thanks for the replies. I called the dentist to confirm this and they told me that they normally do temps but my medicaid doesn't cover it and that it is $400.00 each, so that would $800 total. I asked them about a payment plan and they told me that I could pay money to them into my account and then, once I have enough to pay for them, then I could have it done. I can't wait that long. I'm already in too much pain as it is. At least after they are removed and all is said and done, at least I know that the pain will eventually end. It doesn't seem to have an end like this. I'm just going to have to go the 2 months without them.

At least the bright side is that I'm bound to lose some weight...LOL...I weigh almost 300 so that will be a welcome side effect

Closed Thread