It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Veneer help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
    dream1999
    (female)

dream1999 HB User
    Unhappy Veneer help!

About 14-15 years ago, I had microabrasion done on all of my visible teeth (top 8 and bottom 8) due to spotting. This got rid of the spotting but made the teeth yellow as it removed a good portion of my enamel. It also made my teeth very sensitive, and I was very self-conscious of them.

Last year, my company changed dental insurance and I had to find a new dentist. I confided in him about hating my teeth and due to the sensitivity, he wrote a letter to my insurance who agreed to pay 2/3 of the cost of 8 top veneers. I was thrilled! My pay was only to be $1,800 for 8 veneers.

I went to the first appointment to have the teeth prepped. It was extremely painful and after the first tooth I was in tears so they put me under nitrous oxide. A LOT of tooth structure was removed to make way for the veneers, and I didn't have much to begin with. I also did not receive temps so my teeth, especially the canines, were EXTREMELY sensitive for the 3 weeks between the first and second appointments. I'm talking, it would bring tears to my eyes if a cold or hot drink hit my canines.

The second appointment came and I was excited. I did receive a novocaine shot when I told him about the sensitivity since the teeth had to be cleaned with acid before the veneers could be applied. The veneers got put on.

At first, I didn't like them. They felt and looked big and thick. I felt as though my speech was affected. But everyone told me they looked great, and when I compared them to my teeth older pictures of myself, they grew on me.

A month after having them done, I was biting into a cracker and felt one come loose but not off. (Don't know the technical names, but I had the front 8 done and it was the furthest one to the side, beside the canine.) It took two appointments to get it replaced; one to have it removed, about a week in between to be sent to lab for cleaning, and then a second appointment have it recemented.

At the recementing appointment, I found out that my insurance went back on their word. I apparently had reached my benefit limit for the year, so $900 more was added to my veneer bill. Great.

Several months went by with no major problems. Then a little over a month ago, I was biting at some skin on my lip and felt ANOTHER veneer come loose. (This time it was the one right beside the front ones.) I was able to gently pull it off myself in one piece. Called the dentist, had to do the two appointment thing again, using my own vacation time off work every time.

One week later, that same veneer came off again while flossing! It felt as though it was not even attached! I don't pull my floss back out; I pull it up, wiggle it around, then pull it straight out. The veneer came off and landed on my shirt while going up with the floss!

It has now been almost a month and I still don't have it back on. Took FOREVER to get it back from the lab. Appointment is tomorrow to get it back on.

Guys -- this has been a HORRIBLE experience. I'm constantly stressed that these veneers are loose. I don't bite into ANYTHING...instead I tear my food into tiny pieces and chew it with my back teeth only. I'm scared to death when I brush or floss. One of my gums is receding from the veneers. I can't afford to keep taking time off work for this.

The dentist is offering no explanation for why this keeps happening. I should have researched both my dentist AND veneers more ahead of time. I was just so excited to get rid of my awful teeth that I've hated since childhood. Research has shown me that I probably wasn't a good candidate for these to begin with since I didn't have adequate enamel...in my opinion, that's likely the reason they keep falling off. I would do anything to go back to my sensitive yellow teeth and be without this stress and worry (not to mention have my $2700 back). When I go tomorrow, I'm honestly thinking of asking if I can just have them drilled off and just deal with the sensitivity of the filed-down teeth the rest of my life. THAT'S how much I wish I had never done them!

Thoughts? Ideas? Sorry I wrote a novel here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread