It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Abscessed tooth/Apectomy/Extraction?!?!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
    dadiva
    (female)

dadiva HB User
    Abscessed tooth/Apectomy/Extraction?!?!?

Hello all! So glad there is somewhere to go to get advice and support for these things!!

I have a tooth (#3 / top, right side of my mouth) that had been root canaled and capped years ago. For the past year and a half it has been giving me pain that ranged from mild and only when chewing on that side to intense even when not chewing. It often gets an abscess on the gums above it. Both the pain and the abscess would come and go every now and then and the pain never got too terrible. Several other dental issues have come up since this began so I have been taking care of them. It has been acting up again recently and the pain has been getting worse. I had to have 2 wisdom teeth (on the opposite side) extracted last Friday, and since Tuesday night, I have been having HORRID pain on #3 again. The worst EVER. I could even feel it through the Vicodin I have for my wisdom teeth recovery! I scheduled an appointment for Friday morning to have the surgeon explore it and possibly extract it. Well, the pain was so intense that I almost had an emergency extraction today, but wanted the option of them seeing if they could save it (apicoectomy) since I'd rather not lose it entirely. This surgeon only had time to extract it and left it up to me. So, after taking a day off work for nothing, I am back to waiting until Friday (with more pain meds!). Now I am reading all about this procedure, freaking myself out and realizing the worst part of it is that I CANNOT AFFORD IT AT ALL!!! I nearly used my insurance money for the year for my wisdom teeth.

So, do I just go in and ask for extraction? Is it really worth it for that amount of money when the results may not save the tooth in the long run anyway? (I have had like 7 root canals and I am only 31).

Could my wisdom tooth extraction have ANYTHING to do with the intensity of this blowing up this week?

Any help or information would be fantastic!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Abscessed tooth/Apectomy/Extraction?!?!?

Okay the money this is a HUGE Issue....... I have delayed so much treatment because I could not afford it.... I have 2 kids in college and am a single parent. My crappy Dental insurance only pays 1500 a year which is nothing when you start getting into crowns, root canals, extractions, bridges, and possible implants......

It cost me 1400. today to get an attempted root canal, my 2 extractions, preps for implants. ...... I signed up for a dental credit card 12 months same as cash and got accepted. My credit is not so good because I have a ton of school loans in my name for my kids and I look overloaded....well it approved me. You might want to ask about that....I hear all offices offer to sign you up for it. It took 10 minutes...

Check it out........I am pain free tonight for the first time in 5 weeks. Awesome. Oleander

Old 05-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
    fishertimm
    (male)

fishertimm HB User

yeah, I wish dental insurance was much better then what it is. Mine only pays $1500/year also and I'm way past that. I had a root canal, 3 cavities and a deep cleaning. Then tooth #2 that had a large cavity filled started dying, I was going to extract because I am out of pocket $3000 already, but dentis did a root canal for a fraction of the cost to try to help me out, I just don't have a crown on it yet. I am getting worried though because I still have a sore spot high in the gum next to sinuses. once in awhile will hurt just a little, and a bit sore if I touch it. This is close to the tooth that had root canal, but don't know if sinus, that tooth, or now tooth #3 I have no idea what to do now as I am sooo broke I can barely afford to extract a tooth. I applied of that care credit and was turned down, got my credit report and found out I am victim of identity theft. They are working on that, but could take months to resolve and won't take it off my credit until then. I am currently taking antibiotics for a sinsu infection. Since I just had the root canal a week ago, I don't know if I should give it a bit or go ahead and see an endontist for another $100-$150. I fear I'm loosing battle on molars and may need to consider getting rid of them and a partial which I can't afford. No dental schools close anyway. Just very upset I spent that much money and now seem worse then ever. Wish was like medical, bill you and you make payments until its done. But, no!!! they want it all up front or at least 1/2 and the rest very quickly.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
    dadiva
    (female)

dadiva HB User

I feel your pain. It shouldn't be so costly to take care of your health!!!! and some people....not one cavity even. It isn't fair!!!

Closed Thread