It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Composite Filling Issue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
    AnAnnoyingTooth
    (male)

AnAnnoyingTooth HB User
    Question Composite Filling Issue

About a month and a half ago I had a small composite filling done on the second to last tooth on the bottom right side of my mouth. I was told that it was a small cavity that had occurred in between teeth and that the required filling was very small. Well, ever since then the tooth has never been the same. The first day I had it done I actually had to go back and have it patched up because I was in a lot of pain and apparently a piece broke off and this was after a soft tuna sandwhich. Fast foward a month later and most sensitivity to chewing was gone and there was definitely a sensitivity to cold drinks.

Then out of the blue I had sharp pains with a prolonged throbbing so I went back to the dentist and found that the filling had broken again. Annoyed, I asked him why does such a small filling give such problems and he said it was because a small filling doesn't bond with the tooth as well. He also told me that if I continue to have problems with it he will remove it, drill deeper, and give me an amalgram filling.

The thought of a mercury being released into my mouth every day doesn't sound too pleasing so is there other options for this? Can't he just drill deeper and use the composite material? Root canal? Why so much sensitivity and issues over a small filling???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: Composite Filling Issue

If you eat tuna, you may want to worry about mercury in the tuna more than what may come out of an amalgam filling.

The alternative would be a crown.

Closed Thread