It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Painless bump on the roof of mouth.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
    BrandonJay
    (male)

BrandonJay HB User
    Exclamation Painless bump on the roof of mouth.

For three days I had been having wisdom tooth pain and noticed on Saturday morning that my teeth were shifting (probably to accommodate the new tooth). I still wear retainers at night and I feared my teeth going back to their original state so I wore them longer than I usually would just to be safe. By Sunday morning I noticed that a bump had formed where my retainer ends on the roof of my mouth and it was pretty painful when I touched it. Now, the pain from the wisdom tooth has stopped and so has the pain in the bump.

A friend of mine told me it could be an abscess but I've read numerous times that abscesses are continuously painful and the bump stopped hurting when my wisdom tooth did. I'm really hoping I can get a sense of what's wrong before I contact a dentist. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Last edited by BrandonJay; 07-28-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
    Stribe
    (male)

Stribe HB User
    Re: Painless bump on the roof of mouth.

Abcesses do constantly hurt, until they release and drain. From what you describe, it sounds like a sinus tract, which is where the abcess is draining. Most pain from an abcess comes from pressure of the bacteria building up, once that pressure is released in a sinus tract, the pain goes away, but the bacteria will keep growing until you treat the tooth.

Closed Thread