It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• bone graft update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
    sedulous
    Veteran
    (female)

sedulous HB User
    Talking bone graft update

In April, I had a bone graft done around tooth #7. Probing around the tooth showed 9mm pockets, and there was some mobility. I did a fairly long post about it on this board, if anyone cares to search.

Today, I had a 4 month follow up, and everything looks fantastic! I'm so relieved, particularly since I cannot afford an implant right now, and #7 is right up in front.

The bone is regenerating nicely, the gum tissue is healthy, and even more exciting is that there has been a vast improvement of all my periodontal pockets across the board. The periodontist did a full mouth charting, and most of the numbers were 2's and 3's, with a smattering of 4's and 5's. The 7's are completely GONE.

Aside from the excellent work my periodontist did with the bone graft and such, I credit my oral hygiene regimen- which I ramped up considerably when this tooth flared up after several years of stable charting numbers.

Every morning and evening, I brush 2 minutes per arch (4 minutes per mouth, double the standard recommendation) with the softest brush I can find.

I also brush a third time either in the afternoon after lunch, or after dinner, depending on how hectic my schedule is.

I floss after two of my daily brushings, and then at night, after my final brushing and before bed, I use a WaterPik. I fill the reservoir with warm water in which I've dissolved some baking soda and sea salt.

So, yes, I probably spend a good 20-30mins daily paying attention to my teeth, but it has been sooooo worth it. Previously, tooth loss looked imminent, and now the prognosis is good.

Thank you healthboard members for sharing all your information and resources! With this forum, a lot of reading up on the NIH site, and asking a thousand and one questions of my periodontist and regular dentist, I'm finally feeling less apprehensive going for a checkup.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread