It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Gums hurt!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
    shadoe828
    (male)

shadoe828 HB User
    Exclamation Gums hurt!!

3 mornings ago i woke up and noticed that my bottom front gums were swollen and receding and they hurt when i force my bottom lip up and when i put pressure on them. they don't bleed when i brush, they tickle in a painful way though and thats the only part it hurt, every other part of my jaw is fine besides the bottom front part i don't know what it is and i hope it's not something bad because i don't have dental insurance, my parents never got me it because they can't afford it and i recently turned 16 and haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?!?! i really don't wanna lose my teeth just cause i can't afford dental health. oh and sadly but true, i use to only brush once a day in the mornings for a long time, i hated brushing and never used listerine because it was too strong for me, it makes my tongue feel like its on fire. Now that i have swollen painful receding gums, i am at most concerned about my teeth and gums that i am now brushing twice a day and using listerine (although it still makes my tongue feel like its on fire that i spit it out after 5 seconds) and i still have the problem can someone help me???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
    Gellia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
    Re: Gums hurt!!

Hi,
    Don't use Listerine. It is alcohol based and will only make your gums worse by drying them out. Switch to warm salt water.

And, please, get to a dentist. If you really want to save your teeth, only a dentist can help you.

I lost FOUR of my teeth by waiting and they were the same as yours. If I had had them cleaned it never would have happened. The plaque gets below the gumline. That's why they are inflammed and receding. YOU can't reach it with normal brushing. Only your dentist can get it with a cleaning. PLEASE GO!

Gellia

Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
    shadoe828
    (male)

shadoe828 HB User

Ok, so i will stop using Listerine, I went to the doctor yesterday and she told me i have gingivitis and i need to see the dentist, i found a dentist who charged me pretty cheap to clean my teeth so i am getting that done on Monday, thank god. thank you for the tip also i am using salt water instead of Listerine now. Thanks for the tip i really appreciate it!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
    Gellia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

HI,
    I'm sure a good cleaning will help. When you go, ask the hygienist to show you how to properly brush and use floss. I found that flossing is the single most important thing you can do to prevent gingivitis and periodontal disease.
    Salt water is so much better than alcohol based Listerine, too. They do make a Listerine without the alcohol if you'd rather use that. I also did some research and found that ACT is the best mouthwash for bacteria control, although I'm not fond of the taste.
    A waterpik also can really help with plaque removal.

You are SO smart to take care of this now. My very best to you!
    Gellia

Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
    shadoe828
    (male)

shadoe828 HB User

thank you so much i really can't wait to go to the dentist tomorrow, using warm salt water kinda kept it from getting worse and i do floss daily at least once or twice a day, i do wash with warm salt water after every meal also after morning brushing and night brushing (just finished a minute ago) i will ask the dentist/hygienist how to properly brush my teeth and use floss.

if i may ask what did you do after u lost your teeth?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
    Gellia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi again,
    I had periodontal disease because of an infection in one tooth. It gradually dissolved the bone surrounding my four top front teeth and then I had a run in with a plate glass door that finished the process for me! It couldn't have been a worse place as far as I was concerned!!

What I wound up doing is having the four removed and replaced with implants. I used a metal removable partial while they healed and I just recently got my four crowns. I'm quite pleased with them but it was a long emotionally and financially draining processes.

It's also one that could have easily been prevented if I had done something about the infection I had around the one tooth. Had I only known! But periodontal disease is a silent one. Gingivitis is its first warning and I commend you on doing something NOW while you still have good bone structure!

You'll be fine. A good cleaning will take care of your problems for sure and keep your teeth in good shape (go for those periodic cleanings!).

My very best to you and your continued good dental health! Let us know how you do.
    Gellia

Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
    Gellia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watson05 View Post
    Don't use Listerine. It is alcohol based and will make your gums worse by drying them out. Switch to warm salt water.
    Right! Listerine contains alcohol. That's why the salt water is better. I believe that is what is being used. Warm, salt water.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
    shadoe828
    (male)

shadoe828 HB User

the dentist told me to use listerine twice a day after the clean up, so should i use listerine now or keep using warm salt water instead?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
    shadoe828
    (male)

shadoe828 HB User

i went to the dentist for my appointment and he did a clean up, i told him i have gingivitis and he removes the infection and now it feels a lot better im happy and it hurt like hell when he did it, it was so much pain that he had to numb it with anestasia in order to remover the infections and there was so much blood, but im relieved and no longer have the pain when i put pressure as it did before.

he also gave me a free soft tooth brush and regular paste and regular floss, and he told me i have to keep going back for fillings but since i have no insurance its gonna cost me a fortune! luckily i have a job and im thinking they will do a monthly payment for me! now im gonna have too many bills on my hand, i dont even earn more $80 a week where i work.

i pray that things will be okay, God will help me : )

Also thank you for the time and help you put in for me, God bless you!
    i will keep in touch for updates on my teeth.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #10
    Gellia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm SO happy that all is well.

Another thing you can do for yourself is to get a waterpik. It has made a tremendous difference in the amount of plaque I have. I have periodontal disease and it has helped more than anything. I also go for a cleaning every three months.

Just stay on top of the gingivitis (which you don't have...now). If you have periodic cleanings, I'll bet your teeth stay beautiful forever!

My very best to you!
    Gellia
    P.S. I'd stick to salt water or go and get non alcohol based Listerine.
    Alcohol only dries out the gums and leaves them more open to infection and recession. I did some research and found that for bacteria control the very best mouthwash is ACT-Total.
    I'm not fond of the taste though. If you like it....it's supposed to work better than Listerine.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
    shadoe828
    (male)

shadoe828 HB User

thank you!

i will look that up : )

Closed Thread

Tags
    dental care, dental problems, gum, painful gums, teeth fear