It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• dentures in my immediate future - terrified!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
    lucybooz
    (female)

lucybooz HB User
    dentures in my immediate future - terrified!!!

about a year ago my dentist, upon routine checkup, advised me that my gums were receding (major). i noticed this but didn't pay much attention to it - had no problems at the time. well in his next breath he said i would probably need to go the route of dentures (upper only for now) "down the road". i could have cried then and there!!!! we decided to hold off as long as possible and take care of problems with the upper teeth as they arose. i think problems are starting as i'm going tomorrow for a problem i'm having with one of the upper teeth.

PLEASE.....someone tell me what to expect when that dreaded day comes. i'm so hoping he can fix this tooth, but i really think this might be the "beginning of the end" of my upper teeth. i'm missing 2-3 upper teeth now, although the front teeth are still in place. if anymore of the back teeth (which is one i'm having trouble with) need to go, i think i'm going to be in trouble - cosmetic-wise if nothing else.

i just want to go to sleep, have them removed and wake up with the plate in my mouth and go on my way. i know better than to think it will be that easy.

i'm 64 years old, but i never envisioned dentures. it was quite a shock to hear those words, but i think i need to realize they may soon be part of my body.

please fill me in!!!!!!!

lucy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
    Sandybeech
    Veteran
    (female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
    Re: dentures in my immediate future - terrified!!!

No one ever wants to hear the words- you need dentures! It is not the end of the world. One thing to consider is that if you already have bone loss, the longer you wait the less stable bone will be there to support your denture. I am not saying upper dentures are easy but they are considerably easier to get used to and wear comfortably than lower dentures.

You can always ask to have an oral surgeon do your extractions and they can give you a variety of sedation and anesthesia methods to make you comfortable.

In most cases the dentist will opt to fit you with what is called an immediate denture- one that is placed right away after extractions are complete. This way you will not have to face the world without teeth. The denture acts as a pressure bandage to keep swelling in check and control bleeding. You will also be given pain medication and in some cases an antibiotic. You will need to keep the denture in for at least the first 24 hours or in some cases the dentist will have you come in the next day or two and he/she will remove the denture to clean it, your mouth and check your surgical sites.

To do an immediate denture they will take impressions of your mouth with your teeth intact and send the impression to the dental lab to have an immediate denture made, once the dentist has this they will schedule you to come in for extractions. You can expect to see the dentist more in the next couple of weeks than you probably had in the past couple of years. This is normal, get to know the dentist and ask how frequently you can come in for adjustments, etc. They will usually try to accomodate you.

Pain is usually managed with drugs then tapers off to over the counter products. Ice packs are needed for the first 24 hours or so. Soft foods, even a liquid diet will be the name of the game until you gain confidence and pain is gone. Some practices use the immediate denture for anywhere from 6-12 months and then fit a new denture that will be more comfortable, less bulky, has better aesthetics and so on.

I hope this gives you some insight. Feel free to private message me or ask more in this thread if you want to.

And good luck

Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
    Big Grin
    (male)

Big Grin HB User

Lucy, this is a bit late, but don't freak out.

At most it sounds like you might need partials for the back front teeth.

Unless they fall out by themselves I would not have front top teeth pulled.

Have your dentist explain about precision partials. These are partials were you do not see the metal clasps.

BG

Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
    peggylee66
    (female)

peggylee66 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucybooz View Post
    about a year ago my dentist, upon routine checkup, advised me that my gums were receding (major). i noticed this but didn't pay much attention to it - had no problems at the time. well in his next breath he said i would probably need to go the route of dentures (upper only for now) "down the road". i could have cried then and there!!!! we decided to hold off as long as possible and take care of problems with the upper teeth as they arose. i think problems are starting as i'm going tomorrow for a problem i'm having with one of the upper teeth.

PLEASE.....someone tell me what to expect when that dreaded day comes. i'm so hoping he can fix this tooth, but i really think this might be the "beginning of the end" of my upper teeth. i'm missing 2-3 upper teeth now, although the front teeth are still in place. if anymore of the back teeth (which is one i'm having trouble with) need to go, i think i'm going to be in trouble - cosmetic-wise if nothing else.

i just want to go to sleep, have them removed and wake up with the plate in my mouth and go on my way. i know better than to think it will be that easy.

i'm 64 years old, but i never envisioned dentures. it was quite a shock to hear those words, but i think i need to realize they may soon be part of my body.

please fill me in!!!!!!!

lucy
    Dear Lucybooze,
    I literally feel your pain. Ever since I got pregnant with my son 18 years ago, I've had rotten, bad teeth. I tried vitamins and finally went to Dentalworks and they told me I had periodontal disease. I was so mad & upset @ the other Dentists I went to all the years I did and the $$$$ I wasted paying for extraction after extraction. And the pain from toothaches...I finally said to my husband, I'll just get the bad ones that are left pulled & get a full upper denture and a Partial on the bottom. (I hear that Full Bottom dentures are extremely difficult to adjust to because your tongue gets in the way. So relax, check references of other dentists in your area and make an appointment. I am 44 and also have dentures. Nowadays, you can't tell who has them and who don't. Just take care of yourself.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
    blunj56
    (female)

blunj56 HB User

Oh my friend I feel the same way. I just spent $15,000 to avoid full upper dentures only to find out the dentist who did the work made some pretty big mistakes. So tomorrow 7/15/10 I will having the remaining 5 upper teeth pulled and a full denture. I must admit I think the new dentist that I am seeing now has really helped relieve my fears. I went to see him yesterday and he showed me my new teeth and I am so excited about how it's going to look having the teeth pulled isn't as much of an issue. I know you battle back and forth about having it done because once you have it done you can't go back but I have been reassured by so many people they were so much happier after it was done. Atleast in this day and age you don't have to go a month with no teeth before you get your denture because they put it in right after they pull your teeth. They say it acts as a bandaid to help heal your gums.

Closed Thread