It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• How do I live with these dentures?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
    AmVan
    (female)

AmVan HB User
    How do I live with these dentures?

A year and a half ago I got upper dentures. My smile was terrible but my teeth were healthy and I happened across an unethical dentist. So I had them pulled (could have gone with a partial or invisaline) Anyway, I don't think I'll ever get used to them. I can't talk clearly, eating is difficult, espically meat and salad is impossible.

I can't take it back! I wake up every morning feeling good and then I remember my teeth. Is anyone else suffering? Any tips, maybe? Feedback is needed here! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
    curly fry
    Veteran
    (female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
    Re: How do I live with these dentures?

Find a new dentist and get information on over dentures. Over dentures are like dentures but they are actually anchored on by implants. Some offices will do 2 implants on top and 2 on bottom, but you'll have a more stable result with 4 implants on top and 4 on bottom. This will eliminate the whole removing of the dentures and will provide you with much more comfort (no more sores and the possibility of actually eating steak again!). Not everyone is a candidate for dental implants so try and find a free consultation so you can know for sure.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Go to another dentist one that specializes in dentures and see why these are not fitting properly. My whole family have dentures and never had the complaints you are having. You need to have a second opinion and some adjustments made. You should be able to eat almost anything you want and they should fit snug and comfortably...I am guessing all you need is a good dentist. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
    Sandybeech
    Veteran
    (female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Unfortunately with dentures there is not turning back. You do not have to live in agony though. It sounds to me like your entire experience with this denture has been poor. Usually within the first year most dentists either replace the denture, reline it or rebase it to offer a better fit and better aesthetics.

The speech difficulties should be resolved by now. Also the eating issues as well. Upper dentures are generally easier to adapt to than lowers. I would suggest as others have that you seek another opinion. Implants may be an option but also a better denture may also be a place to start. Trying to maintain a positive frame of mind during this will be helpful too.

Do some research before making the next appointment. If you know anyone who has dentures, ask them who they use and if they are happy with their dentures. I know this is a hard issue to deal with and probably harder to talk about but finding someone else who can share you experiences- good or bad really helps.

I've had my dentures for almost 10 years and I have no real issues with them. I found having others to exchange experiences with has helped me cope. Feel free to private message me if you wish.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
    AmVan
    (female)

AmVan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandybeech View Post
    Unfortunately with dentures there is not turning back. You do not have to live in agony though. It sounds to me like your entire experience with this denture has been poor. Usually within the first year most dentists either replace the denture, reline it or rebase it to offer a better fit and better aesthetics.

The speech difficulties should be resolved by now. Also the eating issues as well. Upper dentures are generally easier to adapt to than lowers. I would suggest as others have that you seek another opinion. Implants may be an option but also a better denture may also be a place to start. Trying to maintain a positive frame of mind during this will be helpful too.

Do some research before making the next appointment. If you know anyone who has dentures, ask them who they use and if they are happy with their dentures. I know this is a hard issue to deal with and probably harder to talk about but finding someone else who can share you experiences- good or bad really helps.

I've had my dentures for almost 10 years and I have no real issues with them. I found having others to exchange experiences with has helped me cope. Feel free to private message me if you wish.

Thank you all so much for your support. I think a lot of my problem is psychological. Just feeeling that they are there is difficult for me. I've had these adjusted and it's become eaiser to eat with practice but talking is bit of a problem because I won't wear them enough during hours at home.

I will seek a new dentist and see what he/she can do. Inplants are out of the question because of the money. Anyway, after having my teeth pulled, it's very hard to even think about replacing them.

I will continue with posting for your support. You're very kind!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
    Sandybeech
    Veteran
    (female)

AmVan,
    I began my journey feeling I was the only one going through this even though I knew someone who had dentures. I felt that this should not be happening to me, that everyone could tell, that I had become some sort of freak and would be stereotyped. What helped me the most was actually talking to others in similar situations. I know dental issues and especially dentures are not a popular discussion but in private, with the right person they can be very rewarding. Knowing you are not alone and getting some tips and hints or just plain exchanging experiences- good and bad helps. Things we often think are just us turn out to be almost everyone.

It will be 10 years for me this coming summer and I look back and think how bad I thought things were and that they would never improve but they can. with the right people on your team, you can overcome this.

As I mentioned before, feel free to private message me if you wish.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
    AmVan
    (female)

AmVan HB User

Quote:
    AmVan,
    I began my journey feeling I was the only one going through this even though I knew someone who had dentures. I felt that this should not be happening to me, that everyone could tell, that I had become some sort of freak and would be stereotyped. What helped me the most was actually talking to others in similar situations. I know dental issues and especially dentures are not a popular discussion but in private, with the right person they can be very rewarding. Knowing you are not alone and getting some tips and hints or just plain exchanging experiences- good and bad helps. Things we often think are just us turn out to be almost everyone.

It will be 10 years for me this coming summer and I look back and think how bad I thought things were and that they would never improve but they can. with the right people on your team, you can overcome this.

As I mentioned before, feel free to private message me if you wish.

Thank you for your support sandybeech.. Your letter makes me feel a lot better. I want to write again soon. I've got an infection that's just about wipped me out and don't feel up to writing. Will write soon. Thank you.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
    AmVan
    (female)

AmVan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
    Go to another dentist one that specializes in dentures and see why these are not fitting properly. My whole family have dentures and never had the complaints you are having. You need to have a second opinion and some adjustments made. You should be able to eat almost anything you want and they should fit snug and comfortably...I am guessing all you need is a good dentist. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. Your support is appreciated. Yes, I do need to find a good dentist!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
    AmVan
    (female)

AmVan HB User

Quote:

Hi Sandybeech. I would like to instant message very much. I don't know how to do that yet and I've been having trouble getting around on this board as well. Can you IM me? Thanks, AmVan

Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
    Sandybeech
    Veteran
    (female)

AmVan, you will need to enable your private message box. I believe you have to go into your profile or settings and check off the box for allowing private messages to be sent. That is the only way I know to exchange off the main board.

Closed Thread