It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Knocked out teeth - reimplant them or just get them pulled?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
    Tee212
    (female)

Tee212 HB User
    Question Knocked out teeth - reimplant them or just get them pulled?

I completely knocked out my two front teeth after falling as some of you might remember from my original posts. It's been a lengthy process to get back to semi-normal. The accident occurred on March 13th. They reimplanted the teeth within an hour and put a splint on the neighboring teeth in order to stabilize my two front ones. Today, April 27th, I finally got the splint off and my endo completed the root canals. I now have to get crowns put on them.

Even though my dentists have done a great job ever since this occurred, a part of me wonders if it'll be worth it (i.e. financially). I've researched root resorption, and from what I can tell, my teeth have a good chance of doing that. If that happens, I will have to get them pulled anyways and get implants ($$$$). Thing is, it could happen this year, five years from now, 10 years from now... It's hard to tell.

What's the best option? I know it's a little too late for me to second guess now. I guess I just want other's opinions too.

I've always heard it's best to save your own teeth if it's at all possible, no matter what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Knocked out teeth - reimplant them or just get them pulled?

Mine lasted 20 yrs after an accident but I didn't crown them - I was told front teeth don't need to be crowned after a rc and if I was careful with them they would last quite a long time. I think they would have lasted longer but about 12 yrs after the incident I got braces to straighten them as they were left crooked after reimplantation and everything seemed fine for many yrs until they suddenly started to shift and then loosened. One dr thought the trauma of the braces caused it, another dr said it could have been due to the othro not providing the correct bite and another dr thought its was heredity and I was just lucky I had them as long as I did - so I did implants with fixed bridges.

I would be wary about the prepping or filing down of tooth structure necessary to do crowns on teeth recently implanted and would wait a year or so to make sure the roots really intergrate - there really is no need to rush into this unless of course your teeth were cracked in the accident - if they look OK other than some discoloration from the rc the dentist should be able to bleach them so they more closely match other teeth.

The reason crowns are often done after rcs is that teeth with rcs can become brittle over time - but since you don't use your front teeth in chewing - other than biting into things, which I avoided not wanting to chance things - I am not certain you need to do anything at this point. If they should fracture at some point in the future you can do the crowns at that time. Too often the crowns I have seen on the front teeth end up showing an exposed margin - a dark line where the crown meets the gum line - and this happens as the gum around the crown recedes exposing the base of the filed tooth - another frequent or common occurrence - so I would think about it some more bc once you have it done there is no going back.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
    Tee212
    (female)

Tee212 HB User

Yeah, I'm scared about the crowns because of the finality of it. I don't use my front teeth at all. They don't hit on my bottom teeth, and I won't be doing any biting for the rest of my life (only because I'll be too scared and paranoid to bite down into something after all of this is over).

I'm scared of getting the crowns because once you do it, there's no going back. If they start turning black or anything like that, I'd of course want crowns, but as of now, my two front teeth look fine.

But I'm also wondering if the crowns will help me out with these things as well:

The one thing I am hoping for (if I get the crowns) is that they can straighten my teeth out a little more.

They reimplanted the teeth in a position that makes them stick out a little more than what they used to do. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference, but I do. Because the dentist reimplanted them to where they stick out a tad bit more, one tooth that was on the side of my front ones looks like it's been pushed back and I have kinda have hard time saying words that start with B and P.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

From an appearance perspective you don't need a crown to make the teeth look straight - simple bonding or a veneer can do that and its less destructive to the tooth but if the problem of the lisping continues or is bothersome you might want to see an orthodontist to see if a light removable appliance or retainer could coax your teeth into a better position during the inergration phase which is still in process - it takes many months if not a year for the roots to fully intergrate back and secure themselves so you don't want to interrupt this process but the teeth are probably still a bit mobile and might be able to handle some gentle pursuasion to a better alignment - you might want to discuss this with the OS who reimplanted them.

Closed Thread