It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Advice on a failed tooth extraction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
    jpetrie
    (male)

jpetrie HB User
    Advice on a failed tooth extraction?

Okay, so about 8 months ago I was eating something and lost half a Molar. It was quite a big chunk. It would cause pain from time-to-time, but would go without the use of any drugs.

However two weeks ago it started to get a lot worse. I was in agonising pain, until three days ago I booked an emergency appointment with the NHS. That day I went in and the dentist said I'd need an extraction. I've never liked the dentist and haven't been in about 8 years.

So she starts injecting, everything goes numb. However, during the extraction I start feeling a sharp pain. I let her know and she proceeds to tell me I shouldn't feel anything and starts jamming a few more injections. Two minutes later she proceeds. As she continues; it gets worse. I explain it's not an ache, it's a nerve. She states that there isn't any nerves there due to the tooth being so decayed. At one point I was literally jumping up in the chair. She still didn't believe me, however. It was then called off and agreed it'd be done in the hospital.

She took a large chunk of the tooth out during the extraction, but the floor of the tooth remaining with a gap which goes through to my gum. I won't be getting this removed for maybe 3-4 weeks, could be longer until the call from the hospital comes through. The pain I was in is nothing compared to what I have now. It's excruciating. I've barely slept since and am constantly waking up all through the night in extreme pain. I've exhausted all my prescribed penicillin which didn't do anything.

The dentist said if the pain persists, to come back and we should 'try again'. I'm reluctant to do this. She barely took any of my tooth out and it was very painful. She protested all my nerves are dead, but if it wasn't a nerve; what was it?

What are my options? I really don't want to have to go back, but at the same time I really can't take this pain. It's been three days and it's like someone is constantly jamming a needle to my nerve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
    dc28
    (male)

dc28 HB User
    Re: Advice on a failed tooth extraction?

Hi jpetrie,

I'm pretty experiencing the exact same story as you.

The dentist spend over a hour trying to extract the molar which was so painful I nearly walked out as I kept jumping as the nerve was constantly touched. The anesthetic failed to turn off the nerve.

2 weeks later and still no idea when the hospital appointment for the surgical extraction will be even when calling for an update.

They gave my a pain killer called dihydrocodeine (30mg) which does nothing to relief the pain.
    Strangely paracetamol or clove oil works better than this so called prescribed strong pain killer.

Any after my moan the question I have is how long did you have to wait until the hospital appointment?

I'm too left with a partially extracted tooth and in more pain than when I visited the dentist.

Closed Thread