It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Post Dental Work Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
    boba ben
    (male)

boba ben HB User
    Post Dental Work Pain

I apologize for the lengthy post, but my issues a bit complicated and there are a lot of variables involved.

I had a root canal on my lower right molar, number 31, back at the beginning of 2010, and I made the stupid mistake of not going in to get the crown done afterwards and ended up cracking the temporary filling in mid April. I had to have it redone and my insurance didn't cover the procedure, so I was out quite a lot of money on that.

While I was taking care of that, my dentist also noticed some pretty deep cavities on both my upper right and upper left molars. I had the right ones done on April 19, 2012 and the left ones done on May 17th. They are all white composite filling. There was no pain before the filling, but the right ones have been bothering me since mid-April. It hurt a lot at first all the time and I was sensitive to cold and avoided eating on them all together. The pain has been decreasing, I have little to no sensitivity to cold, no sensitivity to heat, and it usually doesn't hurt, but I do have mild pain once in awhile still when I eat crunchy stuff like chips or crackers. Some days I also get more severe pain and headaches a little after dinner time or if I floss or mess around between the two teeth on the right that were filled. The root canal tooth on the bottom sometimes gets a little sore sometimes as well, although it's not nearly as bad. It's right below the filled teeth that hurt. I haven't had any kind of trouble sleeping at all, though. My normal dentist was on vacation a couple weeks ago, but I had another dentist in his office grind down some of the permanent crown that had just been placed on my lower root canal tooth and she also said there was a little excess filling material on the left, so she sanded it down a bit as well. I still have been having the pain and headaches a couple of times over the weekend. I have also noticed that it feels kind of like there's a bit of an overhang between the upper right teeth that were filled as it feels like the dental floss is pulling on the top of the teeth when I pull it through. I've started using Colgate sensitive toothpaste and started using Glide floss instead of regular floss as well. That seems to help, but I still sometimes seem to hit a certain spot when flossing that gives me a sharp pain that feels kind of like when you bite on a piece of tin foil with a metal filling. It may also be worth noting that the more severe pain I've been experiencing from time to time goes away almost immediately if I take a couple Advil.

Is this something that might go away or am I going to need another root canal on the upper right tooth? If the filling/crown were high could it just take awhile for my periodontal ligaments to heal from the trauma? I'd really like to avoid having another root canal done as I've already spent a ton of money trying to get my dental health back in order and my insurance limit is running low due to the amount of work I've already had done.

My dentist told me to give it another month to keep healing, but if it still hurts or gets worse to come back and have it re-evaluated. I've also heard that when deep fillings are done, it sometimes takes awhile for the dentin in the teeth to strengthen and that they could be sensitive and achy for a long time after the filling, possibly even months. Is this possible as well? Any advice or input would be appreciated. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Last edited by boba ben; 06-10-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread