It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

Painful tooth and dry socket help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1
bluedreams183 HB User
Painful tooth and dry socket help!

This all started in December 2011, i was eating pizza and heard a crack! I then started having sensitivity. Went to my dentist who said I had cracked a filling (tooth #4, top tooth, 3rd from back), and he re-did my filling. I continued to have sensitivty and went back to the dentist several times. I then had a root canal done in Feb. My local dentist did it, took him forever! i had pain for 4 days, but he said it was routine. I then went back in April for the crown prep, and to have the temp crown placed. A few days after I had this placed i was eating popcorn, had a crack and the temp crown fell off! Went back in to have it put back in. I then had the permanent crown placed and a week later i started having terrible throbing pain, fullness, and tightness! i went back to my dentist who said it was the contact, and he grinded the crown down. I was still in really bad pain, so he sent me to a gum doctor. the gum doctor cleaned out the gums, and said that he didn't see anything, and that there was no way gums would cause that much pain!

the next day i was in so much pain i went back, and the gum doctor said he thought it was a fracture and i should go back to my dentist. i called my dentist who said he did not think this was a fracture. i went back in and he said he thought the tooth was in too much contact, so he grinded it down and put me on steriods. The steriods helped but by about 4 days later the awful pain was back! he then sent me to an endodontist who barely looked at me, but tapped on the teeth and did a cold test and said everything was fine! I was still in awful pain, so i called my dentist the next day who told me this was in my head.

We then drove out of state for a trip, and i ended up in the Er, they did a CT scan but said everything was fine. Went to an emergency dentist who said the root canal had never been completely properly and i probably had an infection. i started antibiotics, and the pain subsided some. We ended up going back home, and i went to a different endodontist who gave me a steriod pack and told me the root canal was never completed properly. He retreated the tooth the next day and said it should start feeling better. It hurt pretty bad for 2-3 days, felt a little better for a day, then the antibiotics and steriods were done and i was in pain again. Went back to the endodontist and he grinded down the filling because he said i was hitting it too much. Still had pain, went back in and the endodontist checked the surrounding teeth and found nothing, but found redness in the gums, so he said give it more time. At the end of that week, i started having bad pain again and the feeling of an infection again! endodontist called in an antibiotic, and it still hurt, but not as bad. Went back a few days later, and as a last resort the endodontist did another root canal. He said he did see a crack inside the tooth, but he said give this a try.

By the end of the week I was still feeling discomfort so i called him. He then said he had to think this was a fracture or crack in the root.

So last week I went to the oral surgeon and finally had this pulled! it started hurting really bad the next day, so i called, and they said to visit my dentist. I switched dentists after everything with my first dentist. This new dentist looked and did an x-ray and said the other teeth looked fine. He said the one behind it had fillings, but nothing deep and he didn't see anything. He said he couldn't rule it out 100% because they can't always see cracks, but he doubts it. He said it looked like I had dry socket. Went back to the oral surgeon the next day who said i had dry socket, and he packed it. Didn't really feel too much better, had really bad pain on Saturday, called and the on call surgeon repacked it. It then felt pretty good for the next 24 hours, but then it started to fall out and hurt, so i went back again on Sunday, he packed it again, and it was hurting again Monday. I went back in and had in packed again. They packed it again on Monday, and it felt a little better on Tuesday, so when i went back Wednesday i had them remove it. It was throbbing pretty good on wednesday, advil helped some. Thursday it felt a little better, but today is the same as thursday. Somewhat throbbing and discomfort, is this normal? I'm a little paranoid that this is all starting over again?

Also, do you believe that the tooth did have a crack/fracture and had to come out? and now i will feel normal again once this dry socket goes away?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockton California
Posts: 5
steadyeasyguy HB User
Re: Painful tooth and dry socket help!

How was the dry socket formed? Anyways, dry socket usually takes about 7-10 to resolve itself from what I hear. The blood clot was removed somehow after the extraction. Keep us updated

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!