It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Front chipped tooth turning very yellow! Please help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
    Tinkerbell007
    (female)

Tinkerbell007 HB User
    Exclamation Front chipped tooth turning very yellow! Please help!!

Hi
    A couple of year ago I tripped and chipped my very front tooth. I visited dentist many times during this period where I wasnt told I needed anything done and as they didnt mention it I just assumed it was fine and forgot the chip even existed.

Now my chipped tooth has slowly started to turn yellow. It happened over such a period of time slowly that I didn't notice it until my sister mentioned to me that one tooth was yellow compared to the rest of my teeth. Now I look at it and I clearly notice it. So I went to get my teeth whitened thinking it will fix the problem until the lady there told me that my tooth looked like it as dying and that I would need a root canel to save it.

I have a phobia ever since I was little of dentist and their injections so I just need some idea of what I'm getting myself into when I visit te dentist.

How is a front tooth root canel preformed?
    How much does it hurt?
    I've read about crowns and caps does this count on front teeth too?
    How will my tooth look different to after the root canel is completed
    And will this effect my tooth one day in te future
    Will I ever be able to do anything to whiten that tooth ( as whitening my teeth didn't work on that tooth)

I know I probably have no other choice at this moment but I want to be ready for this treatment knowing exactly what I'm going in for!

Thank you for you time and help! I can not express how much this means to calm my nerves!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
    WW2ER
    (female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User
    Re: Front chipped tooth turning very yellow! Please help!!

If your tooth is changing color, good chance it is in the process of dying.

When the Dr. does a root canal, they do numb you so you shouldn't feel much of anything. To do a root canal, the dentist will make a hole on the tongue side of your tooth, and then use different sized drills to remove the dead nerve. He then fills it with a material to seal it up, and put a filling, or crown on the tooth This can take one or two visits to the dentist typically.

If done properly, and you take care of your teeth properly, the tooth with a root canal can last you the rest of your life.

Sometimes, a front tooth that has had a root canal does not need a crown on it. (Unlike a back tooth). There is a process where they can whiten a dead a front tooth to get it closer to the color to your other teeth. But your regular whitening material will not work on a dead tooth.

If you do need a crown on this tooth, make sure you okay the color and shape before it's permanently cemented! If you're not happy with it, don't let the dentist talking you into accepting it.

If you do you need a crown, and you want to whiten your teeth, make sure you do that before the crown is made. That way the new crown will match your lighter teeth. But remember, teeth that have been whitened, with time will get darker again. That means you'll be locked into whitening your teeth for the rest of your life order to make things match.

Good luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
    dental care, dentist, root canal, root canal therapy, teeth