It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tooth problem - pls help :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
    stephanie11111
    (female)

stephanie11111 HB User
    Unhappy Tooth problem - pls help :(

Hi there,

I have had many problems with my teeth due to years of grinding. Anyway, 4 weeks ago my dentist told me that I had two small cavities on two of my top molars, right next to each other. He filled them both and it was really quick and painless. He said they were small and not deep. Pretty much the next day, I started getting this weird sensation coming from the area where one of the fillings was (it was actually in-between two teeth). The feeling was that when I bit down on food, or when I brushed, I would get a sensation that shot through my tooth a little like chewing on tin foil - it was really painful and I had to stop immediately. But when I wasn't chewing or touching it, it was fine. Anyway, I went back to my dentist a week later and he said he couldn't figure out what the problem was, as they were both such small, straightforward filings, but he re-done the one that was hurting me anyway, just in case he missed something. Anyway, what he did worked, and the horrible tin foil shooting pain stopped immediately, however a week later, I have now started to get really bad toothache in that tooth. It's nothing like the tin foil feeling - now it's a terrible ache, and when I drink something cold it takes about half an hour for the pain to go away. It's very frustrating, especially considering this tooth has never caused me any issues until he did the fillingl! I know the symptoms might make you think I need root cancel, but the cavities were so small - there was not lot of decay at all (so dentist said, why should I not believe him). So, I was wondering, could this new toothache pain simply be because the tooth has been aggravated recently (be it with the two fillings, then one of them being re-done etc)? And perhaps it will take a while to go back to normal? Or could it actually be a bigger problem? Can you really suffer this badly and it simply be down to an 'irritated tooth' that will eventually settle down? I just find it hard to believe that that it will go away by itself.

I will go back to the dentist to ask him all this of course, but wanted to wait a while first to see if it passes. It's been about 3 or 4 weeks now since the first fillings were done, and just over two weeks since he re-done the problem filling.

I have had fillings in the past, and never experienced this before.

Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated to put my mind at rest.

Thanks a million,
    S

PS - My fillings are white if it helps and I have no silver fillings anywhere in my mouth (in case anyone suggests that that might have been what caused the tin foil feeling)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Tooth problem - pls help :(

I really don't have an answer for you. It could be that you are grinding on the tooth at night and not realizing it. The changes to your tooth from the filling could be causing you to subconsciously be grinding more on it to try to get it back to "normal".

Has your dentist talked to you about doing something to protect your teeth from the grinding. I wore a sleep splint for years to help protect my teeth from the damage done from the grinding. It is quite a powerful force when you grind.

If this dentist can't find your answer, it may be worth checking with another dentist for another opinion.

Closed Thread

Tags
    dental, filing, teeth