It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Help with temporary crown!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
    DarkAngel77
    (female)

DarkAngel77 HB User
    Question Help with temporary crown!

Hi all,

I got a temporary crown fitted 2 weeks ago today, after fracturing the next-to-last tooth on the upper right side of my mouth while eating (when I did get to the dentist, I heard the dental assistant tell the dentist that the fracture was on tooth # 2). My appt. to put the permanent crown on is in 1 more week.

I have a couple of questions about the temp crown. I apologize if these are stupid questions...I'm a first-timer with any sort of crown, and pretty dental-phobic, too

1.) My dentist gave me what appears to be all the usual warnings about eating sticky, chewy, or hard foods, and to try to chew on the other side of my mouth where the temp is located. Since I REALLY want to prevent the temp coming out early, I've been following a liquid/very soft food diet. I'd been doing pretty well on this, and eating foods that I didn't have to chew at all, like protein shakes, mashed potatoes, & smooth liquid soup. But tonight, I found some tomato bacon bisque that sounded delicious...I bought some and started to eat, only to find that the soup actually had soft pieces of tomato and tiny bacon bits in it. As I ate, I did the best I could to slosh the soup over to the opposite side of my mouth and chew the bits, but one of the tomato bits still landed in one of the corners the temp crown and I had to take my tongue and wipe it away. Being a worrier as I am, I worry that doing this might have loosened the crown and made it more prone to fall out, even when I didn't put a massive amount of force behind it. (this tooth didn't have a root canal and is very sensitive with the temp, which is why I'm determined to keep the temp in there).

Which leads me to the question: does it only take something like this to loosen/dislodge a crown? Or is it tougher/more secure than I think? I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid with eating..I know to avoid the obvious stuff like gum, nuts, etc, just not sure about the rest. Also wondering just how often temp crowns fall out/break!

2.) Soon after the temp was put in, I also noticed the tooth that is immediately behind the one with the temp crown. It looks and feels filed down--it's a good bit shorter than the other teeth and smooth. Still the same width, though. Is it normal for the dentist to file down an tooth next to the one with the crown?

Thanks!!

Last edited by DarkAngel77; 05-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
    WW2ER
    (female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User
    Re: Help with temporary crown!

Temporary crowns are pretty durable when it comes to eating. Especially temporaries on the back teeth. Of course there always exceptions to the rule, but typically speaking a normal diet should not be a problem. It's sticky food like toffee, caramels that can be a problem. But on the other hand I wouldn't go trying to crack nuts, or chew ice on that side.

Closed Thread