It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Immediate dentures after extractions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
    ozarkmom
    (female)

ozarkmom HB User
    Immediate dentures after extractions

Hi, I am new to this board so let me tell you a little about my situation. Last thursday I had 22 teeth extracted which included one wisdom tooth which was impacted. After the extractions I had immediate dentures put in. My problem is that it seems most of my mouth seems to healing well and adjusting to the dentures except where I had the wisdom tooth removed. I was wondering if this was normal healing for a wisdom tooth extraction. Is it suppose to hurt longer than 5 days.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Any advice would help

Oh yes I almost forgot to mention the pain meds I have been taking do not seem to work for the wisdom tooth extraction site. Tylenol 3, with codeine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
    Mrspixie1018
    (female)

Mrspixie1018 HB User
    Re: Immediate dentures after extractions

Hi Ozarkmom,
    I too just had some extractions done with immediate dentures(top and bottom). I went in on 03/05/14 and got 12 teeth pulled on the top, I had an infection on my bottom so extractions got put off until 03/12/14 on the bottoms. I also had wisdom/molars pulled and I noticed that my gums everywhere else is healing pretty good, but the back has bigger holes still and still a little tender, not to mention my stitches seemed to fall out sooner then the dentist had planned. I know have to take a syringe and shoot the prescribed mouth wash in there. But it is normal for the back extractions to take longer to heal, they also tend to bleed longer to(up to 3 days).

As far as pain medication go, did they ever tell you to alternate between the prescription and ibuprofen? I was prescribed Vicodin which I was instructed to take every 4-6 hours, then told I could add ibuprofen at the half way mark, so 2-3 hours in I'd take some ibuprofen, then 2-3 hours later take the Vicodin. I was consistent on the medication because I didn't want to be in the pain. I think the ibuprofen helped contribute to keeping the swelling down. Also, I read on the take home sheet that sometimes if you don't get relief from your first prescription and ibuprofen, then sometimes a 2nd prescription can be prescribed.

I don't know if any of this will help you, but that is what I know. I went back to my dentist yesterday for my post-op appointment (2 weeks since upper extractions/denture & 1 week since lower) and my dentist said I was healing surprisingly well even though the back extractions are still large holes. I'd do warm salt water swish and prescribed mouthwash after every meal(this is what I do and it helps with pain if I ever feel any).

Good luck! Terra

Closed Thread