It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Help! Wisdom Tooth Extraction Gone Wrong

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
    Shawberg
    (male)

Shawberg HB User
    Red face Help! Wisdom Tooth Extraction Gone Wrong

I am 31 years old and 6 days ago I had my lower wisdom teeth removed. One had broken through the gums and I was told by a few dr's that it should eventually be removed. I finally had the time and removed it. However, my Dentist also removed the one on the other side (which had not broken through and was not impacted) and now that one is severely infected. The extraction process took almost 2 hours and there was a lot of bleeding. I went back to the Dentist to have it checked out and was told it was normal. I then followed all directions but movement decreased and swelling increased.

Swelling increased so much in two days that it was affecting my swallowing and eventually breathing and I went to the ER. There, they gave me clindamycin, for the infection. They kept me over night for observation and did an catscan and 360 xray of my face. Both came up negative and they were relatively happy and sent me home.

Swelling had gone down, fever subsided, and I was feeling a lot better. But now 2 days later there has not been any improvement and I am in severe pain and can't open my mouth very much and can only get some mush in.

After the ER, I went to my PCP and then eventually back to the ER because lack of improvement.

I am also taking Motrin and Percocet.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

Very frustrated. No one seems to be able to help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Help! Wisdom Tooth Extraction Gone Wrong

You have been through a lot, and I think that you need to just be patient for a bit.
    You can't expect all of that infection and trauma to go away in a few days. If you are allowed to take Advil for the swelling, that is my suggestion. Also, don't keep testing your mouth to see how wide you can open it, that can make it even more swollen.
    Eat soft foods for a week, use an ice pack on the outside of your cheek if it makes you feel better, and slowly, you should be feeling better. If you get a fever again, seek treatment immediately.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
    Shawberg
    (male)

Shawberg HB User

Thanks for the response SweetPotato. I went to a few Dr.s today and got the same response.

I will try and settle down and let it heal.

I just wish my dentist had told me that recovery could take this long normally instead of you will be on your feet in a day.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I couldn't agree with you more. Of course you don't want a dentist to scare you out of having the procedure altogether, but it sure would have been great for you to have a realistic timeframe about when you should recover. Be well!

Closed Thread

Tags
    infection, severe pain after surgery, wisdom teeth