It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Terrified of cavities

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
    icekitsune
    (female)

icekitsune HB User
    Terrified of cavities

Hi everyone,
    I'm 25 and i just went to the dentist and she said that I have a cavity based on my bitewing exam.I'm already really scared and have been researching about cavities itself. I didn't understand but since I got my adult teeth I had no cavities and then in the past 2 years I got two, Same spots on each side on the top 4th tooth (technically 5th I think), on two surfaces. I read somewhere that enamel can be reminerized since currently I feel no pain. Its not like I don't trust my dentist but I only saw her very briefly and if I can save it without drilling, I'm going to do it since filling is permanent.. I know its not a big deal to many ppl but I always had good teeth. I read from posts that composite fillings will fall out in 5-10 years and that as you keep getting it filled, the tooth will be more damaged. So does that mean when i'm 45-55, i don't have a tooth anymore?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
    Stoler99
    (male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
    Re: Terrified of cavities

No, get the filling.
    I have like 15 fillings and you don't feel nothing.
    Some of my fillings are over 20 years old.
    If you don't get the filling, the cavity will continue to go deeper in your tooth. Eventually if the cavity is to deep, to save the tooth you'll have to get a root canal and crown. Root Canal's don't always work. If the root canal doesn't work, then you have to get the tooth removed.
    Thats why you need to get the filling.
    Also see a dentist atleast 1 to 2 times a year getting the xray.
    If your not sure if you have a cavity, get a second opinion.

Did you dentist give you an xray? Xrays are the best way to see if you have a cavity.
    If the 2nd dentist says you have a cavity, then get it filled.
    Ofcourse your not going to lose your tooth if you get it filled.
    The filling saves your tooth.
    The longer you wait to get it filled, the cavity will go deeper and deeper in your tooth. Thats how people lose teeth.

Last edited by Stoler99; 01-01-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
    ItsMyLife486
    (female)

ItsMyLife486 HB User

Have the cavity filled. It really isn't all that bad. I think the worse part is being numb for hours afterward lol. You want to get it taken care of before it gets worse.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
    icekitsune
    (female)

icekitsune HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stoler99 View Post
    No, get the filling.
    I have like 15 fillings and you don't feel nothing.
    Some of my fillings are over 20 years old.
    If you don't get the filling, the cavity will continue to go deeper in your tooth. Eventually if the cavity is to deep, to save the tooth you'll have to get a root canal and crown. Root Canal's don't always work. If the root canal doesn't work, then you have to get the tooth removed.
    Thats why you need to get the filling.
    Also see a dentist atleast 1 to 2 times a year getting the xray.
    If your not sure if you have a cavity, get a second opinion.

Did you dentist give you an xray? Xrays are the best way to see if you have a cavity.
    If the 2nd dentist says you have a cavity, then get it filled.
    Ofcourse your not going to lose your tooth if you get it filled.
    The filling saves your tooth.
    The longer you wait to get it filled, the cavity will go deeper and deeper in your tooth. Thats how people lose teeth.
    Do you mind me asking what was the fillings you had made of? Like a composite one that looks like real tooth? I mean I'm just worried that once a filling falls out , more and more tooth gets damaged and filled especially if a composite filling, according to several sites, in the molar, only lasts 5-10 years

Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have composite and amalgam fillings. They both last just as well, I have one composite that is probably a good 20 or 25 years old. Same with some amalgam ones. In fact, I've nver had a filling replaced because it fell out or went bad and I turn 69 later this month.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
    Stoler99
    (male)

icekitsune, I have both the Metallic fillings and the White fillings. The only make White fillings today.
    They don't do the Metallic fillings anymore.
    When i got my first fillings in 1991, they only had metallic fillings.
    I still have those metallic fillings in my back teeth. Where talking 24 years now.
    Now your going to ask, should i remove the Metallic fillings to get the White fillings. Unless their doing work on that tooth with the Metallic fillings, the answer is No.

icekitsune, take my word for this, if you don't get the filling, what do you think will happen to the tooth that has the cavity?

The Cavity will go deeper and deeper and eventually the tooth will chip apart. Then once the cavity is to deep, your going to need a root canal. As i said, sometimes root canal's don't work. If they don't work, you have to get the tooth removed. Not only that, if you don't get the filling, once that cavity is going deep in the tooth, it might effect the teeth next to the tooth. The teeth next to it, might chip off too.
    Get the filling.

Last edited by Stoler99; 01-06-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
    Stoler99
    (male)

icekitsune, I forgot to mention, they have better technology for teeth that have cavities. Instead of using a drill, there are dentists that are trained to use lasers.
    Lasers are so much better then the drill.
    You do so much less damage to the tooth by using a laser.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-06-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cavities, dental care