It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• I keep failing and failing. I'm sad and jealous of others' successes.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
    Marcus314

Marcus314 HB User
    Unhappy I keep failing and failing. I'm sad and jealous of others' successes.

I have always wanted to become an engineer. Right now I'm 19 and I'm studying at a very good engineering school.

Now the problem is that there is always people better than me. I knew this but the first time I took it seriously was last semester when a friend of mine who is also studying at the same school as me. The matter is that he went with some friends of his to a robotics tournament and he and his team won first place. So I said if they could build a football playing robot, then why I am not doing something similar? Why I am not accomplishing this in my life?

And I really really get FRUSTRATED, UPSET that no matter how hard I'm trying, I don't feel any progress. I know that I most be practicing my math and physics for hours and hours and I do by practicing problems of my college textbooks to take the information to the real world (yet most of the time I get those exercises wrong ranging from a single number to a whole equation). I really find difficult to connect the information I gather in class with the real world. If being an engineer were a video game and progress could be measured in levels I would be in level 3 and those people are like at 500 or even higher.

I have seriously lost control of my life. I don't know what to do, I feel sad everyday. I feel useless and inferior to others and feel jealous to others successes. : (. I cry every time I hear someone else is doing better than me in this

Last edited by Administrator; 07-01-2016 at 01:05 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Marcus314:
    movielover40 (07-01-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: I keep failing and failing. I'm sad and jealous of others' successes.

There will always be people smarter and more creative.

Just continue to do your school work and do well on your tests.

Best of luck to you. When you work for a business they will tell you exactly what they want you to design and give you a general idea of what to make.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
    Marcus314

Marcus314 HB User
    Red face Re: I keep failing and failing. I'm sad and jealous of others' successes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
    There will always be people smarter and more creative.

Just continue to do your school work and do well on your tests.

Best of luck to you. When you work for a business they will tell you exactly what they want you to design and give you a general idea of what to make.

Ok, it is just that I want to be able to do more elaborate things... It is not a problem following what others say, but rather greater things. It's been a very long time since I've been just following others' orders and not seeing any progress tho.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Have you considered getting yourself some tutoring? Even just for a few weeks or a semester? Sometimes, tutoring can give you an edge and help you to feel better about your successes. You are smart if you got into a "Very good engineering school" as you stated; but now you have to find your niche.
    It may not be building football playing robots, but maybe it is mechanical or some other skill....believe in yourself. Its the most important thing!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
    BadMalibu
    Veteran
    (male)

BadMalibu HB UserBadMalibu HB UserBadMalibu HB UserBadMalibu HB User

Hey Marcus-

Don't be too hard on yourself my friend, you're young and have your whole life in front of you to refine and hone your skills as an engineer. Trust me when I say I can totally relate to how you feel in terms of being a perfectionist. I have to remind myself daily that nothing is perfect and life is not perfect because I get obsessed over things that aren't "even" or "perfect."

I think movielover said it best; there will always be people who are better, smarter, richer, better looking, etc and we can't judge our success in life based on who they are. We have to base our success in life on who we are and the things we accomplish with our own lives. Remember the only person's approval that matters is your own and it doesn't matter where you place in the race, just as long as you finish.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
    halo29
    (female)

halo29 HB Userhalo29 HB User

I also have engineering background. So I understand the passion to build and create things.
    The best thing you can do is to get involved with a team. You can't wake up one day and build a robot. Take small steps. If your friend agrees join their team (or even watch them when they work together), to learn from those who have more experience.
    GET INVOLVED WITH A TEAM. You will learn from them and you'll find out your strengths and see the team's progress. An engineer must be a good team-player. None of the real-world projects are done by a sole person.

Last edited by halo29; 07-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
    Mariabbbb
    (female)

Mariabbbb HB User

Marcus, It's easy to fall into that trap - feeling everybody is better than you. You are doing a lot more than I did when I was your age, and I turned out OK. Stick with it. Try not to compare yourself to others. Trust me - they have problems too (they just don't share them). If you knew what was going on in other peoples' heads you'd be surprised how well off you are. So don't compare yourself, just keep on keeping on. You'll be successful in your life when you finish this program. You'll be glad you made it.

Reply Reply

Tags
    depression, failure, frustration, jealousy, sadness