It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Quitting Cymbalta after 4 days

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
    Misterbubbles
    (male)

Misterbubbles HB User
    Quitting Cymbalta after 4 days

Hi all.

I am considering my options. I started 30mg of Cymbalta last Friday. So took my 4th pill today. I have read nothing but bad things about it. Doctor thought she could put me on it for maybe a shorter period ( going thru some transitional periods in my life now) and from all what i have read it has scared the pants off me.

The side effects have been awful and completely freaked me out!
    Should I quit now. Is there any weaning needed? Anything i should know?

I just cannot go through the same thing coming off this stuff in months as it has been trying this. Appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Quitting Cymbalta after 4 days

After 4 days....i would just quit. Curious what side effects you are having?

Have you tried any other meds for moods issues in the past?

Ive used Effexor XR for a long time. Started on 37.5 for a few years. Went off and then had to go back on...increased to 75 mg where I've stayed. I was more interested in taking the edge off since I was in therapy for a while before that. I also use ativan, although not daily.

You could look into l-theanine. Yoga Meditation massage, accupuncture, cranial sacral work...etc and other supplements that might sound to research.

Oh, also look into light therapy....i use the philips golite (its a blue light that does lift my mood), when i remember to use it during cloudy and dark days.

Have you had your vitamin d and b vitamins checked? If you are low, then moods can get out of whack as well. With mood issues can also come pain...is that why the cymbalta as a choice?

Have you got other supports to help with coping? A counselor or therapy helps to vent and gain those tools while going through difficult times.

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-01-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
    Misterbubbles
    (male)

Misterbubbles HB User

Cheers!

I think i had been on effexor years ago.
    Ideally id like to not use anything. I think i can beat this.
    But this stuff is making me WEAK!

So you think stopping cold turkey after 4 is still quite ok? Probably get bad headache and a case of the runs.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...i have done it in the past but with celexa for a week, paxil for a week and elavil for 2 weeks. No withdrawal.
    If you have a headache, take advil if you can take it...otherwise use tylenol. Drink enough water, but not overload. Tea might help since it has caffeine and theanine.

I edited my post for other suggestions, so please read it again just in case you didn't catch that part. It takes me a while to catch my typos on a tablet..lol.

q

Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
    Misterbubbles
    (male)

Misterbubbles HB User

big thanks for replies. I think quitting cymbalta may not be so much fun, might have some real vertigo. But again cant be enough in my system at this point. Really the only thing i have done to manage my stress is go to gym. But i think i need better set of tools. Talking to someone also might help! Thanks for the tips!

The Following User Says Thank You to Misterbubbles For This Useful Post:
    quincy (08-02-2016)
    Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Please take care and please let me know how you are doing.
    q

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
    Misterbubbles (08-01-2016)
    Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User

Quincy- How many mg were you on of Paxil ? I just started 10mg on Friday. What side effects did you have to quit after a week ?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi...I don't remember, but it would have been the lowest dosage.... and if it's 10mg, then that's what it would have been. I had an extremely severe headache for the entire week, continual nausea and was totally spaced out. Once I quit it, those feelings went away.

Let me add that I do have headaches often since I was a kid because of neck injury and do feel off because of sinus and vestibular problems...but this was unrelenting, spaced out and non-functioning. I wasn't willing to take a medication that made my already issues much worse. My doctor so wanted the Paxil to work for me, but I wasn't willing to give it another day. I went back to the Effexor XR a few days later.

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-02-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    cymbalta, quitting