It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Is medication for depression as bad as my parents make out?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
    Sherlocked91
    (female)

Sherlocked91 HB User
    Question Is medication for depression as bad as my parents make out?

Hi guys

Happy to have found an active depression message board!!

So, I've had a rough time of it lately and have been feeling so low. Today, I woke up feeling sad and I didn't want to go to work. I pulled into the carpark, just burst into tears. I thought I could cope, went in, but ended up in tears again .. my manager gave me the day off as holiday and told me to see how I was tomorrow. He is great, offered so much support and said I could use the office as often as I needed just to get away.

Anyways he's advised me to go to a doctor, which I wanted to do. Also he advised me to talk to my parents, which I have done - I've admitted to them how I'm feeling.

I mentioned going to the doctors, and my mum has already said I shouldn't take medication at all. But I feel, given how low I've been recently, that I need something just to boost me and get me out of this mood.

What does everyone think in regards to medication etc? Is it taboo as my mum thinks, or safe? Should I take it anyway, if the doctor suggests it? And are the medications addictive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Is medication for depression as bad as my parents make out?

Hey there Sherlocked91 & Welcome to the HealthBoards

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of a rough patch right now! Have you anyone you can talk to about how you're feeling? A close friend, family, colleague you can trust? Sometimes this can help bucket loads! Otherwise, have you considered counselling? Personally I believe medication is in it's place for a reason - to help people, so to answer your question, no it is not taboo in my opinion. I would not solely rely on this to help raise your spirits and have you feeling better though, in my experience it needs to be a mixture of medication but also therapy of some sort.

I hope this helps!
    DW.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2017 at 03:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonfly Wings For This Useful Post:
    Sherlocked91 (04-15-2017)
    Old 04-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
    Sherlocked91
    (female)

Sherlocked91 HB User

I think it'll help me, so I will go ahead and try if I get myself an appointment.

As for the counselling, I have a couple of options - one is an EAP (employee assistance programme) which my manager recommended for me. A telephone helpline. Something is holding me back from phoning them though :/

But a big problem is my mindset - years ago, I saw a counsellor at school. And then my mum turned around and said to me: "don't tell your granddad you're seeing a counsellor - he'll think something is wrong with you". So that kind of got into my head, and I thought it was something to be ashamed of. I think I'm still trying to shake that thought off.

But I have had a good talk to my manager today - granted, it was halfway through my complete breakdown :P - but I told him I felt I couldn't cope and things were on top of me, and he helped me by reassuring me I was not weak. I was stronger for having admitted I need help. So having him will be a big help.

The only problem is now I'm worried - I've only been at this job for one month, and not exactly putting in a good impression! At the same time though, we have just been evicted ... so eviction, new job etc. has caused a heap of stress for me. Not surprising I broke down completely.

Anyway, I do have a question for you. As far as antidepressants go, how does yours feel to youl? Does it clear that cloud in your head so you can start doing things for your own good again?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User

Sherlocked91- Medication has helped me a lot. My mood is a lot better. I feel like doing things. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
    janville
    (female)

janville HB User

I agree! When you find the RIGHT medication, it makes all the difference in being able to react and move ahead from there. Once that fog lifts, you can begin to convince yourself to put in the rest of the effort needed. The energy will return as you have small successes, and the medication also decrease the negative thoughts that pull you down and bind you, changing your mood and your way of looking at things.
    Good luck!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Please keep in mind that medication is hit or miss for everyone. You will not feel better by taking a pill, but you MIGHT feel better after a month or so on the right medication. Sometimes, it takes trial and error and more than one med before you find the right one to work...

There is nothing taboo about taking medication for a problem and anxiety and depression are real problems. It is a shame that your mother put it into your head that this is a bad thing....and wonderful that you found a boss who said you were strong for asking for help.

As far as the bad impression you may or may not have made....its all about the job. Is it the right fit for you? Is the job causing any of these feelings or depression? Could the feelings have started right around when you accepted the job? You may love your boss (he does sound pretty awesome) but the job may not be right for you...as far as whether you are right for it or not- you'll need to get some outside counseling. Make that call. Find out if you can uncover what it is you are upset/ depressed about and try to separate it from the job. It wont happen overnight, but it can happen. You can also be honest with your boss and tell him your fears and get his feedback... he may help you feel better or he may be brutally honest and tell you that he needs more from you, but either way, knowing where you stand will eliminate some of the anxiety you are having about the subject.

Get the help you need. You wont know if meds are the answer until you try- but there IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with asking for help!

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
    MSlady17
    (female)

MSlady17 HB User

Medication does help, it is not taboo. Like said before, it may take trial and error to find one that is good for you. Seeing how your parents feel, I don't think I'd confide in them. And maybe not your supervisor. Find a therapist you can talk to, or good friend, priest (if you attend church), someone that will listen to you. It does help. And you do not need to tell anyone if you don't want to (even your parents) that you are taking medication. I never told anyone, it was something I kept to myself.

Reply Reply