HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Antidepressants ? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/1035326-antidepressants.html)

Kittycat2014 07-08-2017 07:54 AM

Antidepressants ?

I will probably have to go back on an AD and really don't want to. Please tell me what AD you were on, if it helped and what side effects you had? Also, are any of them good for insomnia or worse for insomnia? I know everyone is different, but I need some input. Thanks so much!

quincy 07-08-2017 09:49 AM

Re: Antidepressants ?

Hi...the one that works well for me is Effexor XR. Started out with 37.5mg and now use 75mg. I tried Paxil, Celexa and Welbutrin. Not for me, ugh.

Sleeping has always been an issue for me, but I wouldn't say things got worse after starting it. I did have issue with one generic that did not work as well as another.

Unfortunately, not all work the same for everyone.

What one(s) were you on in the past?

q

Kittycat2014 07-08-2017 10:37 AM

Thanks so much! I was on Effexor XR and had bad s.e. and then had to wean off slowly so that one is def. out. lol I was on desipramine, celexa and lexapro. I *think* I was on Wellbutrin. Elavil and Zoloft gave me high anxiety and PA's. I'm so scared whatever I'm on next will give me worse insomnia. Have had it for 2+ years. Been off AD's for quite awhile and can't remember all I've been on. Maybe on Remeron too once.

[QUOTE=quincy;5462996]Hi...the one that works well for me is Effexor XR. Started out with 37.5mg and now use 75mg. I tried Paxil, Celexa and Welbutrin. Not for me, ugh.

Sleeping has always been an issue for me, but I wouldn't say things got worse after starting it. I did have issue with one generic that did not work as well as another.

Unfortunately, not all work the same for everyone.

What one(s) were you on in the past?

q[/QUOTE]

quincy 07-09-2017 07:26 AM

Hi...You've certainly had experience with them......they all are so individual in success, side effects, etc. I have a friend who has been on prozac for about 2 years....made an amazing change in how she feels.

New generation ones seem to have less side effects reported....there's also abilify that is used in conjunction with ADs.

Are you in therapy as well?

q

Kittycat2014 07-09-2017 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=quincy;5463067]Hi...You've certainly had experience with them......they all are so individual in success, side effects, etc. I have a friend who has been on prozac for about 2 years....made an amazing change in how she feels.

New generation ones seem to have less side effects reported....there's also abilify that is used in conjunction with ADs.

Are you in therapy as well?

q[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about Prozac. I can't take any med that causes BP to lower so Abilify is out. I stopped therapy last year, but going again on the 11th and talk about an AD. I also wanted to try Cymbalta, but the s.e. ads were scary. Thanks so much Q! I'll let you know what he prescribes me.

quincy 07-10-2017 10:13 AM

Sounds like a good place to start. Let me know what you end up getting and how you're doing on it.

q

Kittycat2014 07-13-2017 10:26 AM

Re: Antidepressants UPDATE

saw the pdoc yesterday, but he said no to an AD for now. put me on generic ambien for insomnia and i see him in a month. last night, it worked pretty well. we'll see. thanks for all your help Q. :)

quincy 07-13-2017 11:08 AM

Re: Antidepressants UPDATE

Good to hear.

Hope the good sleep will help level your moods and you won't need the AD.

Thanks for the update!
q

Mariabbb 10-12-2017 12:02 PM

I was on 40 mg Paxil and 50 mg Anafranil and it worked for a while. But last winter I hit the floor and thought I was going to die. My psychologist prescribed Abilify on top of my other meds. I've felt fine since taking all three meds.

Kittycat2014 10-12-2017 12:53 PM

Thanks Mariabbb! I'd have to check the s.e. for those meds and also to see if we have 2 of them in this country. I'm glad all 3 are working for you. The depression is situational so I'm still thinking it over. Stay well! xo

MadelineP 11-01-2017 10:34 PM

If you want to ignore anti-depressants, you can try natural ways to resolve your problems like medication, exercise, or one can also talk to someone like a psychologist that will suggest them some ways to come out of their problem.

Kittycat2014 11-02-2017 06:00 AM

Thanks so much Madeline. I feel better now. :) It's pretty much situational depression. I've been sleeping better so that's helped a lot. Always trying natural ways too like softer music, etc. I appreciate you writing to me. Have a great day! :)

sw403 11-05-2017 08:44 AM

For situational things, L-Tryptophan might help. I find it helps me with insomnia and some depression, but it only lasts in my system a couple of hours.

Also, I have used hormone therapy for both depression and insomnia. It helped tremendously although not completely, and I am now dealing with some side effects.

I have never had luck with anti-depressants. I am also currently trying neurofeedback for both depression and anxiety but it is too early to tell if it will help.

There are other things you can try if the meds don't work well for you. I also meditate daily for both depression and insomnia.

Kittycat2014 11-05-2017 09:01 AM

Thanks so much for your advice. Not sure what I can find or afford where we live though. So sorry you're dealing with some s.e. I'll see if our pharmacy carries L-Tryptophan. I also have to see if I can afford it. Most anti-depressants are covered here, but anything OTC or natural isn't, unfortunately. :(

sw403 11-05-2017 09:21 AM

Supplements are not covered by insurance. and L-Tryptophan is not super cheap, so it's not a daily or long-term solution. But if I wake up in the middle of the night , I take one and i can fall back asleep. Many people also take melatonin. I prefer L-Tryptophan, but they are related, and melatonin is a lot cheaper. On the other hand, if Ambien works for you - that is fantastic! It didn't work for me.