It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Antidepressants ?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User
Antidepressants ?

I will probably have to go back on an AD and really don't want to. Please tell me what AD you were on, if it helped and what side effects you had? Also, are any of them good for insomnia or worse for insomnia? I know everyone is different, but I need some input. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Antidepressants ?

Hi...the one that works well for me is Effexor XR. Started out with 37.5mg and now use 75mg. I tried Paxil, Celexa and Welbutrin. Not for me, ugh.

Sleeping has always been an issue for me, but I wouldn't say things got worse after starting it. I did have issue with one generic that did not work as well as another.

Unfortunately, not all work the same for everyone.

What one(s) were you on in the past?

q

Last edited by quincy; 07-08-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Thanks so much! I was on Effexor XR and had bad s.e. and then had to wean off slowly so that one is def. out. lol I was on desipramine, celexa and lexapro. I *think* I was on Wellbutrin. Elavil and Zoloft gave me high anxiety and PA's. I'm so scared whatever I'm on next will give me worse insomnia. Have had it for 2+ years. Been off AD's for quite awhile and can't remember all I've been on. Maybe on Remeron too once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...the one that works well for me is Effexor XR. Started out with 37.5mg and now use 75mg. I tried Paxil, Celexa and Welbutrin. Not for me, ugh.

Sleeping has always been an issue for me, but I wouldn't say things got worse after starting it. I did have issue with one generic that did not work as well as another.

Unfortunately, not all work the same for everyone.

What one(s) were you on in the past?

q

Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...You've certainly had experience with them......they all are so individual in success, side effects, etc. I have a friend who has been on prozac for about 2 years....made an amazing change in how she feels.

New generation ones seem to have less side effects reported....there's also abilify that is used in conjunction with ADs.

Are you in therapy as well?

q

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
Kittycat2014 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...You've certainly had experience with them......they all are so individual in success, side effects, etc. I have a friend who has been on prozac for about 2 years....made an amazing change in how she feels.

New generation ones seem to have less side effects reported....there's also abilify that is used in conjunction with ADs.

Are you in therapy as well?

q
I was thinking about Prozac. I can't take any med that causes BP to lower so Abilify is out. I stopped therapy last year, but going again on the 11th and talk about an AD. I also wanted to try Cymbalta, but the s.e. ads were scary. Thanks so much Q! I'll let you know what he prescribes me.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like a good place to start. Let me know what you end up getting and how you're doing on it.

q

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
Kittycat2014 (07-10-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Kittycat2014 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User
Re: Antidepressants UPDATE

saw the pdoc yesterday, but he said no to an AD for now. put me on generic ambien for insomnia and i see him in a month. last night, it worked pretty well. we'll see. thanks for all your help Q.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Antidepressants UPDATE

Good to hear.

Hope the good sleep will help level your moods and you won't need the AD.

Thanks for the update!
q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Kittycat2014 (07-13-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Mariabbb
(female)

Mariabbb HB User

I was on 40 mg Paxil and 50 mg Anafranil and it worked for a while. But last winter I hit the floor and thought I was going to die. My psychologist prescribed Abilify on top of my other meds. I've felt fine since taking all three meds.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Thanks Mariabbb! I'd have to check the s.e. for those meds and also to see if we have 2 of them in this country. I'm glad all 3 are working for you. The depression is situational so I'm still thinking it over. Stay well! xo

Reply Reply