It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

is there a way to get a dr note for work for a while?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
amoeba430
(female)

amoeba430 HB User
is there a way to get a dr note for work for a while?

I work full time. I see a therapist every other week (her schedule doesn't currently allow for more). For the past few months work got a lot more stressful with issues with the supervisor and work load and so on. It already was hard enough to go into work, but I go in and very rarely take a day off like for a "mental health day" (1 all of last yr). It just makes it harder for me to return. But since July I've taken 3.

I feel so trapped, not just feel, I am. A big discussion with the therapist is trying to see how I'm not causing the problems it seems I am, etc. But now everything about long term is on hold because I'm so stuck in the short term thing with work and have no idea what to do, there's no end in sight although the union is working on getting some changes (not just for me, for what is causing the big mess for others too).

So how can I work on trying to find hope in the long term if I can't function and get to work in the short term. I finally asked my therapist about getting a note for work for some time off.

She brought up the same issues I knew were there, then what, after a week or so off, it's all just the same thing. She said something like it being a bandaid. I get what she was saying but also, what if I get to the point that I really really can't go in. I think those 3 days off were that way, but then other days I can do it, but, it's still horrible and the morning before and night after work I'm a mess and just stuck and not seeing a way out or hope. Anyway, she talked to her supervisor and told me they can't do a note because she's not a dr or medical person. I said that I felt work would allow it, for a period, not like long term, but just saying I was under her care.

I was getting more desperate, I tried the EAP, I had never contacted them before but there's no way to get a note or more support there since I'm already seeing a therapist. I contacted a practice I saw a psychiatrist at in 2015-2016 to return. The psychiatrist had said I had treatment resistant depression and anxiety and there weren't more medicines to try, and try therapy. So, I haven't been there since Aug 2016. I called but they said I have to return as a new patient, and would call back in a week, that was 2 weeks ago. I left another message on Fri to confirm things were in process.

Honestly it seems like there is no way to get a note for time off work. But the point of taking off, was to be off before I waited too long. Even knowing I could get a note would help to keep trying, but know that if I really couldn't, I had a way out for a bit. After 3 days I need a note to return.

I'm scared to try a GP. I don't have any personal one that knows me. I feel they'd either think I was just wanting a note to get off work (ok I am, but it's in order to keep trying to get through this, not just to get out like a vacation). Even when I tried to find the psychiatrist in 2015, I had to call countless places until one let me in, either due to them being booked up or, once they heard a history of hospitalizations, even though it was just that year.

But it seems a GP is my only last option for a note for, stress or depression or something, a way for some time off work.

Am I missing any other options? I do have some physical issues, chronic migraines, knee problems, the knees are worsening due to the work changes. But, I feel that'd be lying to ask for time off for those. They cause problems and the knees hurt more, but that's not why I'd be taking off for any semi extended period, and personally I just don't want to do that (even if they believed me).

Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 08-19-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply