It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Depression and health anxiety

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
    Amberlight61
    (female)

Amberlight61 HB User
    Depression and health anxiety

I developed some digestive health issues a few months ago, after my Dad's death. I have had a bunch of tests done, and the latest tentative diagnosis is mild IBD with IBS. I still have to have a colonoscopy to confirm that, but I have no idea when that will be happening now that we're getting into the holiday season. Might not be till January.

Along with my digestive discomfort (pains, bloating, etc.) has come a lot of anxiety and depression. I have seen doctors and am on meds, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

All I really want to do these days is stay in bed. I force myself to get up, but sometimes it's not until noon, and if I'm home in the evenings, I'll be in bed by 7 or 7:30, which means I can be in bed for 16+ hours a day, watching TV, reading and sleeping. It's just that right now, bed is the only place that I feel relaxed, comfortable, at ease and free of all symptoms (including digestive symptoms), so that's the only place I want to be. Having to get up early sends me into panic, and my bowels go into knots, so I had to cut back my work hours to part time, and am currently only working in the afternoons. Can't really afford this, but I don't know what else to do. Mornings are simply impossible for me right now.

I have been taking a stronger anti-depressant for two weeks now, and really haven't noticed any improvement. I've had depressive/anxiety episodes several times before in my life, but this is one of the worst, and I am not sure how or if I'm going to get able to get out of it. Being the darkest time of the year and living alone doesn't help. I do get out to see friends a few times a week, in the evenings, and have a Tai chi class every Wednesday night, and that helps, but I tire easily, and can't wait to get home to bed again.

My question is -- is it okay for me to spend a lot of time in bed, if that's where I feel most comfortable, until the meds kick in (if they ever do) and I feel well enough to start easing back into my normal life again? I was a very busy, active, productive person before Dad passed and I crashed, and this is just not like me. I wonder if some counselling would help, or would it just be a waste of money?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply