It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Daughter depressed and not eating

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-22-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
    dziehm
    (female)

dziehm HB User
    Daughter depressed and not eating

My 25 year old daughter has been dealing with tinnitus for a month which has made her continuously anxious and now depressed. She had already struggled with anxiety and depression before the tinnitus, but this has passed her to a very dark place. She's not yet in an antidepressant though had an appt Monday to discuss with her primary care physician. They as well as urgent care Drs have been unwilling to give her anything for the anxiety and panic attacks.

She can't eat and has lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks. She's petite and can't afford the weight loss. I can't get her to eat anything more than a few bites of bland food, and protein shakes.

We've been struggling with the health care she's been getting especially in dealing with the anxiety and depression.

I'm not asking anyone for a cure, just anyone who has experienced something similar and can share foods that have worked to get eating a routine again.

Thanks for anything you can share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Daughter depressed and not eating

Dear dziehm,

In my personal experience with my own eating disorder and psychological issues from my twenties and thirties, you need to stop trying to manage your adult daughter, which can only make her feel more helpless, and rather than telling her what to do, find her a good psychologist that deals with eating disorder issues.

Drugging her will not fix her mind set or her emotional state. It is not as though the body or brain requires psyche drugs.

Rather than to try to change her, help her get the psychological support that she needs. I saw all sorts of medical doctors and tried all sorts of solutions. But it was a psychologist that helped me accept myself, and that changed my perception of myself so that I could take care of my body. mind and spirit needs for myself. That is what set me free.

I think your daughter is discouraged about herself and out of that is self-harming, but it is not something for you to control or manage at her age.

Show her trust and dignity by not trying to fix her, but by helping her to have access to a good psychologist that has a reputation for actively listening. She doesn't need told. She needs to be heard. A good psychologist listens and gives honest and clear feedback. I think your daughter is normal and just needs confidence in herself. Unfortunately parents cannot fix this for us.

Last edited by yayagirl; 06-23-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Has she been diagnosed with an ear disorder or severe sinus infection?
    Has she had blood testing for thyroid, vitamin D, B12...etc?
    Is she not eating because of nausea or pain?
    I do, however, suggest she have therapy/counselling as well.

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-23-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
    dziehm
    (female)

dziehm HB User

Quincy - thanks for your message. She's been diagnosed with bilateral tinnitus likely from taking prescribed ibuprofen for migraines for 8 months. Re: lab tests she's only had the very basic so thank you for mentioning B12, vitamin D and thyroid. She's been taking vitamin B12 and magnesium.

She initially wasn't eating because of nausea but now it's because of anxiety/panic attacks and depression. She is not someone who likes to take medicine and has been going to an acupuncturist and massage therapist. It helped for a few hours with headache and ringing but past that nothing.

We have a very strong family history of depression, anxiety disorder and bipolar disorder and though I'm not saying she has any of these diagnoses long term I know that right now she is experiencing clinical depression and understandbly so. She mentioned that she wants to talk with her Dr. about starting on an antidepressant and referred to a psychiatrist to deal with this situation. I'm also connecting her with a therapist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Has she been diagnosed with an ear disorder or severe sinus infection?
    Has she had blood testing for thyroid, vitamin D, B12...etc?
    Is she not eating because of nausea or pain?
    I do, however, suggest she have therapy/counselling as well.

q

Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

If she is sent to a psychiatrist, I hope he/she will continue with other possible testing as to other reasons for the tinnitis and the migraines and appropriate meds to deal with it.
    Im assuming she isnt on anything at this point?
    Is she on the pill?

q

Old 06-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

I dislike any kind of medical procedure, so I can relate.

Just so you know, if the B12 makes no difference she may need to take it by injection. I have to do that and it really is simple and almost completely painless.

Here is some info on it
    https://www.health.harvard.***/staying-healthy/ask-the-doctor-b12-shots-vs-pills

Reply Reply