It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Vitamin D linked to depression?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
    ljeff
    (male)

ljeff HB User
    Vitamin D linked to depression?

Hey everyone, I've been going through a depression since the winter. I've been on Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and now on Pristiq. The wellbutrin helped me get out of bed easier but didn't help my overall mood. Lexapro helped me, but lost its effectiveness after a few weeks ( I was on 5mg, 10, 15, 20). **I am working with a psychiatrist through all of this**. I was having a hard time on that, due to the sexual side effects that SSRIs cause. Origianlly, I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder, and was hoping it would get better as summer neared. Unfortunately, it didn't and I'm still depressed halfway through summer.

My question is about my vitamin d levels. I got my bloodwork done and my level is at a 23. I'm aware that this is deficient, and have been taking supplements. I was wondering if this could be the cause of this stubborn depression. 3 antidepressants later and it's still creeping back after starting pristiq a month ago. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Vitamin D linked to depression?

Dear jeff,

Vit. D may help, yes, but it won't resolve fully your issues. Get yourself out in the sun so sun light is hitting your retina. No, I am not saying look at the sun. Also use the full spectrum light bulbs everywhere in your house, which is like bringing sunlight into the house.

Try talking to a psychologist, which is the type of doctor that helps us change the way we think and look at things and to learn to deal with depression and change our mood. We can get so used to feeling down that it seems normal. But most of this is in what we dwell on. Yes seasonal changes matter, but nowadays we can change our home atmosphere.

A psychiatrist strictly applies medication and depending on the psyche drugs keeps the mood suppressed which to me feels exactly like depression. If you see a psychologist, that is the type of doctor that can help you deal with your inner pain and wean off the psyche drugs.

NEVER cold turkey stop psyche drugs. I have dealt with very serious depression and harsh life issues and never once become happy or well-adjusted by taking 'anti-depressants'. Personally I believe those drugs suppress and don't cure depression.

Read up about B vitamins. Check your diet and stop the excess simple carbs like cereals, breads and desserts & sugar and eat healthy foods. Sugar and simple carbs are addictive and also are a downer. If you need something sweet eat fresh fruit, and just one serving, with some protein.

Weaning off the mood altering drugs and doing what your mind and body needs will improve your drug side effect issues.

Last edited by yayagirl; 07-21-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Vitamin D linked to depression?

My opinion is possibly, because low D can definitely exacerbate that state of being. How much vitamin D are you taking?
    Have you had B12 vitamin and others checked?

Are you doing therapy as well as medications?

The trial through meds is a very tough one. I use Effexor XR and take enough to take the edge off my depression. I was in therapy for a long while before Effexor, and that helped immensely regarding understanding the what and why.

Have you tried an SAD light? I have used the Philips blue light one.....when having consistently cloudy days, it helps. There are others available, so see if any would be best for you.....absolutely worth it tho.

Other thought....how are you eating, and do you take fibre supplements and probiotics?....because the gut produces seratonin, and healthy gut flora is necessary for that.

q

Last edited by quincy; 07-21-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Reply Reply