It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Not myself anymore

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
    Tori2020
    (female)

Tori2020 HB User
    Not myself anymore

I developed facial nerve condition three years ago where I cannot open my right eye. It was supposed to go away after a few months but it never did and there is no cure other than waiting it out. I think I might be stuck this way for life.

Since it started I don't feel like myself anymore. I get strange looks and people are awkward around me. Some of it is probably in my head, but I'm really uncomfortable with how I look and I can't get used to it.

Other than the social problems, things are more challenging because I can only see with one eye. I don't drive anymore and I can't enjoy 3D movies anymore.

Its just really depressing because I don't know if I'm stuck this way or not and because I don't know, its hard to totally accept it or move on from it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tori2020:
    quincy (09-07-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Not myself anymore

Sad to hear this is what you're having dealing with.
    Would you mind to share the cause?

Have you looked into muscle stimulation....like a tens?
    Is it possible to have surgery to aid in cosmetic improvement?

q

Last edited by quincy; 09-07-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Have you seen more than one doctor to make sure that there isn't something that can be done which your doctor didn't think of?

You could wear an eye patch to cover the eye which is not functioning properly...maybe it would make you feel less like people were looking at you differently. People "glance" at an eye patch, but usually dont look longer...

I am sorry you are feeling so down on yourself. If it were me, Id be seeing every doctor until I got an answer. Dont just accept what one doctor says- get more opinions!

Old 10-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
    journey
    (male)

journey HB User

Sorry that you are in this situation. How are you feeling now? Have you adjusted to your condition? Perhaps it would be best for you to consider getting a cosmetic surgery somehow if your appearance bothers you that much. I mean, you are still able to do things like a normal person and that is the most important.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
    Tori2020
    (female)

Tori2020 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry for no response last year. I was in depression for a little while, but I'm feeling much better now.

My condition improved from last year and I can open my eye again. My only issue now is my eye turns out (like cross eyed) badly now. The doctor said its from nerve/muscle damage. I had surgery on it as a kid and this nerve condition created complications with it.

I'm looking into treatment options. I don't know if this will go away or if I need surgery again.

Reply Reply