It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Why is depression so misunderstood?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
    oise
    Inactive
    (female)

oise HB User
    Why is depression so misunderstood?

If depression is an epidemic, and there is plenty of evidence that it is, then why is there so much written and commented on that reveals no understanding and no compassion for it? Does anyone else with depression groan when they read about how sunshine/yoga/have a night out with the friends/run a marathon or watch a comedy video will help? The "blues", the 'downs", the disappointment and even grief are not depression. Maybe we need a new word(s) for depression that separates it from low-tide ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Why is depression so misunderstood?

Dear oise,

It really doesn't matter what anyone writes, or what we call it. It is as different for each person as our appearance. It really doesn't matter how anyone defines it. We each have our own unique experience. We all share from our own experience. That is all anyone can do about any subject.

Unfortunately, depression only takes us into our own painful experience. No one can feel what we feel or go there with us and we cannot go there with others. Pain and suffering of any type is completely personal and no one else can feel our own experience. We can have some understanding about it, but there are no words or drug for that matter to fix it. Depression usually stems from expectations and unfulfilled desires, resentments, unexpressed anger. Sometimes that is accompanied with physical ailments and limitations. Depression is complicated; there is nothing simple about it.

I think we need to be more understanding of others, but also of our own selves and where we are coming from. I think a lot of depression comes from unrealistic expectation of ourselves and others.

We need to learn to be understanding & forgiving and to let go of the anger and depression. Be happy for what we do have. Be supportive of our selves and of others. But we humans just don't always choose to do that. So, we mourn & suffer. That is human nature.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
    oise
    Inactive
    (female)

oise HB User

Thanks for the reply. True, that it is an internal struggle. However, that struggle is made easier if others understand and show compassion. Mostly, I encounter people that see struggle as weakness and utter something along the lines of "buck up" and "be grateful". Depression, the kind that I'm talking about, is mental illness not unexpressed anger and disappointments. So, I'm bucking up all the time and always grateful but never finding any compassion in a harsh world

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

No two people exhibit the same symptoms of depression. For some, a night out with friends might be helpful.. for others, it may be a mental illness of which they have no control over.

Like depression, there are literally thousands of illnesses which others who do not have them, do not understand. I had someone today tell me to "shake it off" when talking about a symptom of multiple sclerosis. You have no idea how much I wish I could.

People who do not have an illness or know anyone with the illness, are most likely to give out bad advice or misunderstand...we cannot fault them, we can only educate them. For those which we do not wish to educate- we need to smile and walk away and hope in our heart of hearts that they are simply trying to be helpful

Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Depression is depression...gussied up wording won't change its reality. Like saying lost, passed on or gone etc...it's still dead.

Depression is subjective and in genetic hardwiring, and it's a complex way of functioning. It also has a link with anxiety and acts in tandum as a reaction to it.

Therapy helps tremendously....as do medications. As far as other suggestions such as yoga, meditation, out with friends...they would be helpful but as a maintenance, because depression is never cured. One can understand, maintain, flow with the depression ups and downs until one event where one cannot.

What others do NOT understand is the effort it takes to function with it and the fine line one walks even when things are going (and perceived to be going) well.

q

Reply Reply