It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Craving sweets...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2003, 07:25 AM   #1
    off_thedeepend

off_thedeepend HB User
    Question Craving sweets...

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that since my Lexapro kicked in I have had a bad craving for sweets. Has this happened to anyone else on anti-depressents? or is it just me?

I am a person who doesn't crave a lot of sweets, just every once in a while. It just seems like the only thing I want to eat is candy, and it's like I can't get enough of it.

Thanks

~j

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
    sflaboy25
    Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by off_thedeepend
    Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that since my Lexapro kicked in I have had a bad craving for sweets. Has this happened to anyone else on anti-depressents? or is it just me?

I am a person who doesn't crave a lot of sweets, just every once in a while. It just seems like the only thing I want to eat is candy, and it's like I can't get enough of it.

Thanks

~j
    yeah that can be a strange side effect for some...increasing serotonin is suppose to make your body crave carbs less so don't know why this happens in some people but not others..i am the complete opposite..was on lexapro when it first came out and didn't eat at all. now taking effexor and wellbutrin with the same effects.. how long have you been on lexapro? ssri's can change blood sugar levels so if your diet is bad cravings for carbs seems to be increased..

Old 11-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
    *music23*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*music23* HB User
    Thumbs down

I am totally having the same problem!! I went trick or treating and I knew that was a mistake. Now I am eating like a pig. I have gained 30 lbs since, like, June. I don't know what to do, either I am bingeing or am not eating anything. There's no inbetween. What have y'all been doing about this? If anything?
    Kristina

Old 11-07-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
    sflaboy25
    Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by *music23*
    I am totally having the same problem!! I went trick or treating and I knew that was a mistake. Now I am eating like a pig. I have gained 30 lbs since, like, June. I don't know what to do, either I am bingeing or am not eating anything. There's no inbetween. What have y'all been doing about this? If anything?
    Kristina
    yeah binge eating is bad news..when u don't eat your body goes into starvation mode. so when u eat something after that period of time your body will store it as fat for use as fuel later in case of starvation again...goes way back to the beginning of man..eating small balanced meals through the day should help...the book "potatoes not prozac" has really good meal plans. low carb like atkins is good although the first two weeks are the hardest...i am just glad i lose weight when on anti-depressants especially effexor.. i have heard people gain lots of weight on that

Old 11-08-2003, 03:32 AM   #5
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    I craved sweets all the time on Amitriptyline, but was sick as a dog on Lexapro, which I didn't last on more than 2 1/2 weeks. Now on Effexor & do not even have an appetite. Have tons of candy bars in the kitchen & they have no appeal for me anymore.

Old 11-08-2003, 04:31 AM   #6
    cahcinderella
    (female)

cahcinderella HB User
    I just got the chills reading your posts! I Have been on Lexapro for a month and have an appetite for nothing other than sweets. I eat ice cream and candy (chocolate) and that's all I eat. I am turned completely off of other foods. No appetite for anything else. I know I am going to gain a ton of weight if I don't stop. If I do stop eating sweets I will become anorexic.The Lexapro helps my depression but not if I gain a million pounds.

Closed Thread