It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• My doc prescribed me Zoloft. What side effects can I expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 AM   #1
    Want 2 B Well
    Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
    My doc prescribed me Zoloft. What side effects can I expect?

I finally did it. I told my doc my anxiety issues and she prescribed me Zoloft. Now it was a free sample and did not include the side effects pamphlet. So what can I expect as far as side effects?
    Thanks

edited to add...
    Well I looked it up and it sounds scary but I am going to take my first pill. If there is anyone on Zoloft can you tell me how long it took before it started to work???
    OR if anyone started Zoloft and had to switch, why?
    Quit smoking June 3 2003
    Will be 39 in Feb.
    Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Want 2 B Well; 11-13-2003 at 06:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
    latterdaylady

latterdaylady HB User
    Hello,
    Well, i took Zoloft for 3 years...stopped cause i got pregnant, but anyway, the only side effects i felt was nausea, only sometimes and not enough to stop the medication, and also dizziness if i forgot a pill...until i took the one i missed then the dizziness would go away. Zoloft helped me sooo much and i really need to get back on it...just haven't taken the time to call the doc, ya know. Good luck and i know it will help

Old 11-13-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
    Want 2 B Well
    Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
    Thank YOU! I have NEVER taken a pill for depression and anxiety. I think I have anxiety about taking anxiety meds.
    Sounds stupid doesn't it?
    Quit smoking June 3 2003
    Will be 39 in Feb.
    Scared to turn 40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
    Happy Father
    Inactive

Happy Father HB User
    I was surfing around and caught your message: are you taking Zoloft to help with anxiety to get of Meds? what Meds opiets?.......Just curious becasue I was taking 50mg Paxil for the same problem. Didn't help, also it lowred my Labito s/p? quite a bit................Good luck.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
    cleo cat

cleo cat HB User
    A side effect that I had was very vivid dreams. Until I got mostly out of the depression, they were very real & sometimes really scary - they all focused around things that I had done or thought about during the day. Now that I am feeling better, I still have really vivid dreams, but they aren't so frightening anymore - mostly about mundane stuff.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:08 AM   #6
    Tigre

Tigre HB User
    Hi,
    Im on 200 mg zoloft for several months now. At first i was jittery and my sex drive is gone as well. But it has benefited me because i was in a severe depression and im not so bad now, Im also on 2000mg keppra (so i cant take welbutrin for sex drive thing these two meds cannot be mixed) 200mg zoloft, 3 mg risperdal, 1mg xanax as needed and a new one for the boo boo i have (damaged cartlidge in toe and have tendinitis in shoulder) calle lodine. I hope it works for you...it has for me so far.

Tigre

Old 11-14-2003, 04:48 PM   #7
    sourgirl29

sourgirl29 HB User
    I LOVE ZOLOFT! I've been on it for a little over a month and after YEARS of feeling like I wanted to die because I was so depressed, anxious, overwhelmed, etc...I felt so much better in just a few days. Side effects I experienced: dry mouth, hyperactivity for a few days (but it was good, I cleaned my house like I've never done before!), inability to orgasm after the first week (but that seems to have resolved itself now in week 5), headaches (only the first few days). The side effects are gone now and I feel wonderful. BTW, no weight gain. I actually lost 8 lbs. because I don't do the "emotional eating" thing anymore. I hope it works as well for you as it has been working for me. BTW, I am on 50 mg. of Zoloft during the day and 25 mg. of Seroquel to sleep at night (but I only take that every few days or so when it's getting late and I am still not sleepy--zoloft has improved my sleep habits so I don't need the Seroquel as much). Good luck.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #8
    Want 2 B Well
    Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
    Thanks sourgirl. I just took 25mg of Zoloft this evening instead of the 50mg that the doc prescribed me. (pill #2).
    It has only been 30mins and I already feel "whoa!"...

I am hoping that the sex thing doesn't happen. That really concerns me. But I am only on pill #2. I mean how long before you know if it is the "right" pill for you???
    Quit smoking June 3 2003
    Will be 39 in Feb.
    Scared to turn 40

Old 11-14-2003, 11:18 PM   #9
    cleo cat

cleo cat HB User
    Give it a couple weeks for the side effects to clear up. After that, they say that the average time is 8-10 weeks to actually feel a lot better.

Old 11-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #10
    *music23*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*music23* HB User
    Smile

I am currently on zoloft and the only real side effects that I can link to zoloft specifically are tachycardia (increased heart rate) and probably increased blood pressure (dont know if there's a name for that).
    Kristina

Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #11
    Tigre

Tigre HB User
    i have been on zoloft for many months now and all side effects are gone except the sexual ones....depression lifitng but not wanting intimacy....guess we cant have our cake and eat it too eh?
    take care

Tigre

Closed Thread