It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Weight gain from Zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
    Unhappy Weight gain from Zoloft

Hi Guys,
    Where to start.... Well, I'm going to have to give you guys the long version of my story, because I don't think I can give you all the details without it being long. So here, goes. About 2 and a half years ago, I became very depressed, and was put on anti-depressants. I tried multiple different ones until I found one that was good for me. It happened to be Zoloft. So, I went along my merry way, feeling great, and about 4 months after I started taking it, I realized something amazingly wonderful--I was losing weight!! And not just a little, I lost about 15-20lbs. I was so happy. I continued to take it, and my weight stayed down (112-114lbs) for about 9 months or so, and then I slowly started gaining again. So, VERY SLOWLY I gained for about 4 months, and then I really started to pack on the lbs (this is without any change in diet or exercise--from the time I began anti-depressants until this day). About 7 months later I asked my psychiatrist about this, and she just nodded her head as if she was saying "I know what you're about to say... I knew this would happen..". Then she broke the horrible news to me--quite a few young women find that after about a year or so on anti-depressants, their metabolism slows significantly, and they gain weight. (I don't know why she didn't tell me about this before, and give me the option of whether or not I'd like to gain weight... I lost so much respect for her... just the sound of her name makes me feel ill) So, I asked her to take me off the stupid pills, since they were making me more and more depressed as the months went by, and she slowly started taking me off.. Well, I got sick of it going so slow, so I just took myself off cold turkey. She told me that if I continued to work out, I would lose the weight I wanted to lose (she gave me a timeframe of 3 months--here we are over a year later). So, I was doing fine without the meds until a couple or months ago, I now find that I am quite irritable, anxious, and depressed. Not seriously depressed like I was a couple of years ago, where I can't even get out of bed in the morning, but I feel like I felt when I was beginning to become seriously depressed before. I'm afraid that if I don't get this under control now, I will be seriously depressed and suicidal again. My problem is though, I refuse to take any anti-depressants, because they have caused so much weight gain for me, that WILL NOT come off. The weight gain is one of the things making me feel depressed. I weigh between 135-140lbs or so now, and I'm only 5'3, and although I know that this weight is still within normal weight range for my height, I feel awful. I've tried diet and excercise, for long, long periods of time, I've had my thyroid tested, and I've tried mutltiple diet pills, and nothing is working for me. Does anybody know how one can take off weight put on by anti-depressants??? I read once, that there are different vitamins that you can take that will help with weight loss (put on by anti-depressants), if taken in the right quantities and combinations, but I can't find the website again! If anybody can help in any way, that would be sooooo greatly appreciated. I just really would feel great if I could lose even 10lbs (although, I would love to go down to 115 again). I'm only 20, and was 17 when I began anti-depressants, so it's not like my metabolism has hit the bricks from age or anything..... please help me guys. I really need it. Sorry for the long novel!
    Cassi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
    Muffie2

Muffie2 HB User
    Re: Weight gain from Zoloft

Hi there,
    Boy can I relate to what you've experienced. I gained 25-30 lbs over the last 9 months on Lexapro and I'm extremely upset about it. I am your same height and weight also, and I know what you mean about still being within "normal weight range", yet still feeling horrible. I have a closet full of clothes I can no longer fit into.

Like you I am extremely upset with my Dr. and therapist. Both know that weight is a big issue for me, yet they assured me lexapro doesn't cause weight gain. So until recently I thought it was just me. Now, after doing some research and looking at different message boards, i know better. I feel betrayed and disgusted with my therapist that each time I came in fatter and fatter she never raised the possibility it could have been the meds.

All that said, i am just now going off of Lexapro and am terrified I won't be able to get the weight off. Right now, unfortunately i don't have any advice for you on taking off the weight. I'm going to try to exercise like crazy since that can also help with depression. We'll see. I'll let you know if I find something that works. I'm also considering diet pills. Which have you tried?

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 PM   #3
    vtcas

vtcas HB User

I remember exactly what you're going through. I was on Zoloft for 3 years and just kept taking it because they told me to. I was in college, so weight gain was always there. Fianlly at the age of 24 I gave in and decided I had to take meds to completely get better. Fortunately I have a family member who does pharm. sales and she gave me a bunch of information on Effexer XR. I had taken Paxil, Zoloft and Depakote and this one finally works. I haven't gain any weight yet 5 months later. What I really like about it was that it causes nausea for the first few days during all of the dosage increases, so those days you don't eat much at all anyhow. Although most anti-depressents usally cause weight gain or loss of apitite I finally found one I like. It's a matter of sticking to it. You've realized that zoloft doesn't work, find a good doctor and ask about others. I have been through numberous doctors and finally found one I really like. What I like is that explains to me what causes a chemical imbalance causing depression and why it was absolutely neccessary for me to be on meds. He didn't do the "oh, zoloft's good just give it a chance" speech. Another thing to consider is if anyone in your family is on meds sometimes they work for another family member too. My cousin and I are both on Effexor XR and seem to be doing much better. Best of luck.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
    Rebecca2

Rebecca2 HB User

Hi, I have a seizure disorder along with depression, so I had been taking Depakote along with Zoloft, also Topamax and Ativan- we are now changing my meds and cutting me down to just 2- I will be taking Topamax and Zoloft. Anyways- I have gained 30 pounds in just 5 months. I had read that if you take Vitamin E and Fish oil supplements it will help with the weight gain- but you should really check with your doctor. I can't remember the website I found that on, but I will try to find it again for you. I had been taking 400 mg Vitamin E 2 times a day, and 1200 mg fish oil 2 times a day.

-Rebecca

Old 12-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
    ElizabethLost

ElizabethLost HB User

Honey, I feel your pain!!!

I, too, am 5'3'' and USED to weigh a svelte 109 lbs and look decent in a size 2. I enjoyed everything to do w/ diet, fitness and overall wellness.

HOWEVER, after a couple of months on Zoloft and Seroquel...BOOM...I weighed in at 127 lbs at the doctor's office the other day. I went in there for the flu but had a breakdown and told him about how I wanted to get off the meds so I could get rid of the weight. However, I didn't want to get back to "rock bottom" and considering how horribly depressed I've been the past 5 months, I really needed to be on SOMETHING. He suggested Wellbutrin. He told me to continue to slowly taper off the Zoloft and Seroquel and start the Wellbutrin. He informed me that the Zoloft weight should "fall off" after I am completely off of it. What a relief...I'd been dieting and exercising my butt off and GAINING weight.

My therapist also told me that Zoloft and Seroquel wasn't making me gain weight when I first got on it. When I went back, freaking out about my skirts being too tight, she decided to let me know that "yeah, it might be slowing down your metabolism...and yeah, you'll probably need to work extra hard to get the weight off...come back in three months if you haven't lost a pound."

Well, I hadn't lost one pound but since that day I sure have gained!!!! I said F* her and took this problem to my family doctor. Soooo glad I did. I've heard such positive things about Wellbutrin. It's a damn shame that Zoloft helped my depression so well. But dammit, I'm depressed all over again b/c of this weight gain. And since I'm also body dysmorphic, it's 10X tougher.

My advice is to go to a different doctor is your therapist isn't listening to you. Tell them what has happened. Ask them for an AD that will NOT cause weight gain. I believe there is another one out there besides Wellbutrin....Effexor maybe? And be adament about it. That is their job and we are paying them to help us.

Good luck, girl. You are certainly not alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elizabeth

Old 12-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #6
    wahine

wahine HB User

I was on Zoloft for a year, but I felt like it did absolutely nothing for me. My depression raged on unabated. I wouldn't have even realized I was on it except when I tried to get off safely by lowering my dosages, I kept having blackouts! Unfortunately, I had already gained quite a bit of weight (about 30 lbs) just from being depressed, so I don't know if the Zoloft had any effect on my weight or not. But I can tell you that now I am on Effexor and, for me, it's a wonder drug. I totally feel great on it and have been working out steadily (30-45 minutes of weights, 2-3 times a week) and have lost 2 dress sizes in less than 6 months. The only side effect that I get from Effexor is that I will feel slightly lightheaded (no blackouts, tho) the day after I have accidently skipped a dose. So if I skipped Sunday completely, by Monday morning I will feel a little lightheaded, but once I take my dose, I'm fine within an hour. I love Effexor and thank the gods that it's available.

Closed Thread